Fix Thin Brett Beer Post-Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_bollinger

Reaction score
I brewed my first brett beer using 100% pils, and then pitched a starter grown up from dregs of a brett beer I love -- Brett Peach from Burdock (so good!)

Before fermentation, I didn't realize that the Brett Peach is a 100% brett beer. I'm now pretty sure it is, since fermentation is still going a month after brew day. Also, because of my inexperience, I wasn't savvy to the issues with brett and glycosol -- otherwise I would have used some oats or something.

The beer tastes and smells great now, but the texture is pretty watery. Carbonation will help I'm sure, but the texture is noticeable.

People seem to generally recommend maltodextrine or lactose for fixing a thin texture post-fermentation, but I'm pretty sure in this case that the brett will just eat those sugars.

Any other ideas? Wheat protein isolate? Glycosol?

Thoughts?

I'd say live and learn. Brett will certainly eat maltodextrin, but you've got a 50-50 shot with lactose. Only some strains can ferment it (the bond is the same as glycosides or cellobiose). If you are kegging you could chill and blend/sweeten as desired, but not safe for bottling.

Never heard of anyone dosing food grade glycerin, but you could certainly try it in a sample if you wanted to!

I'd say live and learn. Brett will certainly eat maltodextrin, but you've got a 50-50 shot with lactose. Only some strains can ferment it (the bond is the same as glycosides or cellobiose). If you are kegging you could chill and blend/sweeten as desired, but not safe for bottling.

Never heard of anyone dosing food grade glycerin, but you could certainly try it in a sample if you wanted to!

Wow, I definitely never thought that Michael Tonsmeire would respond to my question! Thanks Michael! (Incidentally, I actually just ordered your book and am really looking forward to reading it! I love your blog and loved your interview on the Sour Hour)

In any event, if anyone is interested, I think that I thought of a much better solution than either lactose or glycerin (which, I subsequently read, is not a good thing to add to beer).

I have a 1 gallon glass jug full of a kettle sour (with a relatively viscous mouthfeel) into which I pitched US-05 in primary and the same brett culture as the beer I'm asking about in secondary. I just had the idea that I could blend the two. I tested a 4 to 1 blend and it tastes great and has a good mouthfeel. I'm looking forward to kegging, carbonating and quaffing! Blending FTW!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back