Fishing hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4car223

Reaction score
So I have worked at my current job for almost a year (since we moved to MA). Been hopping around to some lakes and ponds around the apartment trying to adjust from Florida and Texas bass fishing to New England bass fishing. Never was able to find a decent, clean place to fish.

Today at lunch I said "screw it, I haven't had any luck anywhere so I will throw into the retention pond right behind the shop the last half of my lunch"....only I didn't say it out loud.

So 10 minutes, old abandoned warehouse's retention pond (around an acre and a half big), 10 casts, 4 largemouth bass. The very first cast landed an 18". The 3 others were little juvenille ones.

Wouldn't have guessed that I would find that gem 1000 yards from my shop. Now it is just too bad I can't do a homebrew liquid lunch while fishing.

Sorry, doubt anyone cares to hear, but my wife doesn't care either so I have to tell somebody :drunk:

Agree. I don't need anything more than a little Baggie of chips to quickly eat on my 30 second drive there.

Down side it I am the only mechanic for the company....well only employee for the company aside from the owner. So I he is gone it is a no-go.

Regardless I will have named every freaking fish in that pond by mid summer!!!!

I always thought of fishing as something I did to keep in touch with friends and family. But when I stopped doing it, I missed it so much. I like the gear, the time outside, fresh air, and I try to go for fish I can eat like pan fish or carp. Yes I do eat carp, ya gotta cook it a specially way. Man has been fishing for thousands of years, now is no time to stop.

Agree. I don't need anything more than a little Baggie of chips to quickly eat on my 30 second drive there.

Down side it I am the only mechanic for the company....well only employee for the company aside from the owner. So I he is gone it is a no-go.

My problem is that I'd look a little silly with my Whoopin' Stick standing on the shore...wearing a suit and tie. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but if look silly.

I really need to find more local fishing holes for shore fishing now that my boy is interested in it. We have (arguably) the greatest bass lake in the world in our back yard...but it's an awfully big "pond" to be fishing without a boat.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Ok maybe 15" but it is a fishing story after all. And the photo rotated, I wasn't on some strange planet where gravity acts all funky!!

image.jpg

I always thought of fishing as something I did to keep in touch with friends and family. But when I stopped doing it, I missed it so much. I like the gear, the time outside, fresh air, and I try to go for fish I can eat like pan fish or carp. Yes I do eat carp, ya gotta cook it a specially way. Man has been fishing for thousands of years, now is no time to stop.

The fish around here you wouldn't eat after a 24 hour star san soak and cooking it beyond safe temps. The amount of heroin needles those fish have bumped against is probably scary. The people in this city a such slobs. It is just trash everywhere.

"Hello I live in Chicago" Fishing for me involves cover fire. I think we had 44 shootings Easter weekend. The Feds are now in control here.

"Hello I live in Chicago" Fishing for me involves cover fire

Not in the "gun free" city?! :confused: My mother grew up in Elmhurst and I have family in Cicero and Berwin. I remember being told we had to sleep on the floor when we stayed at my aunt's house just in case there was a shooting.

I was born in Libertyville, and lived right by fox lake in McHenry as a child.

I can't believe we got concealed carry and it's a shall issue state nun the less. But the way they made the laws, no one know's where they are allowed to carry.

I find it ridiculous, the laws regarding Concealed carry, but that is a debate for another topic.

You want craziness regarding gun laws....move to MA. They seem to be. Ore gun hating than New York, only they let you have them here...probably hoping you get into trouble by cleaning it in your house, where the neighbor who is spying with binoculars see you through the window and calls the police in fear of their life :off:

Ok maybe 15" but it is a fishing story after all. And the photo rotated, I wasn't on some strange planet where gravity acts all funky!!

Now that's a retention pond worth keeping quiet about :D

One of our favorite halibut holes is a short 5 minute run from our camp. We have pulled nearly 800lbs worth of halibut out of that hole this year so far.

So far I've been skunked halibut fishing from the beach at Kasilof. It's about a 20 mile drive. My wife is going to Kansas City next week to visit kids. SO... I have to go again tonight and see if I can't catch something. THe butts should be biting better next week.
Tom

One of our favorite halibut holes is a short 5 minute run from our camp. We have pulled nearly 800lbs worth of halibut out of that hole this year so far.

But you're hard core. From the pictures I've seen on this forum from you (which I loved), my thinking is that I'd have to quit my job to live the fishing life you live.

You found a new fishing hole and I just caught my first trout on a fly rod(I'm normally a spinner guy).

I guess I'm spoiled. I can shoot in my backyard, have no neighbors in sight, and top of the line fishing minutes away.

But you're hard core. From the pictures I've seen on this forum from you (which I loved), my thinking is that I'd have to quit my job to live the fishing life you live.

I wish I was hardcore. Haha. I am just fortunate I guess. Most of those fish were caught where I was working at the time. I don't even own a boat.

You found a new fishing hole and I just caught my first trout on a fly rod(I'm normally a spinner guy).

I guess I'm spoiled. I can shoot in my backyard, have no neighbors in sight, and top of the line fishing minutes away.

I am jealous of you, I used to live in Newton, NC. I miss it there, would have stayed but there wasn't much work.

There is a place about 30 min from my house that my Dad and my boys go fishing whenever we get a chance. We put the boats in at Bridge Bay on Shasta Lake and run 30 min to this KILLER fishing hole! We never drag up anything HUGE but we always get dinner!

Cheers
Jay

2012-08-04_19-18-41_572.jpg

Orig from WI and fished all my life, Navy took me away 25 years ago. Fished all over the world whenever I could and I will say the fishing here isn't all that bad, but nothing beats WI (that I've done so far). Thanks, now my mornings going to be thinking about fishing when I have to go to work...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There is a place about 30 min from my house that my Dad and my boys go fishing whenever we get a chance. We put the boats in at Bridge Bay on Shasta Lake and run 30 min to this KILLER fishing hole! We never drag up anything HUGE but we always get dinner!

Cheers
Jay

Vladimir Putin?

I'm still fishing for my spot. This creek I go to has fish. Just have to figure them out.

So, what you are really saying is that he'd be too busy to notice you having a liquid lunch.

Back