"Fish Tank Filter Filtering" ? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluppy

Reaction score
Hello fellow Brewers :)

I just finished my first Beer and Mead and im very happy with the outcome.
But, there is a lot of yeast, hops, and other small stuff swimming in the brew.
Of course i let it rest for a while and most of it settled down to the bottom but it just doesn't look very attractive to have that stuff in the bottle.
For my next beer ill try it with a secondary, this hopefully will make it a bit "cleaner".

But my housemate suggested to let it run through a coffee filter. This should filter even the small yeast particles out. On the other hand i guess it would take ages to run a few liters through a small filter. So i thought of using an electric fish tank filter. if everything is properly sterilized and clean, it shouldn't be a problem right?

id love to hear some thought about if this could work from some professional homebrewers like you guys :)

regards,
Benedikt

( i though of something like this http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3351&catID=6 )

If you bottle condition, you will always have some yeast at the bottom of the bottle. If you filter before you bottle, you run the risk of filtering the yeast out. You need a bit of yeast in the beer to consume your priming sugar, and carbonate your beer.

I work on the basis that I reduce the risk of infecting my beer by putting less stuff in there, whether it be your fingers or taking constant readings or putting any unecessary equipment in there. I play it safe but it seems to be working for me.

There are several methods for clearing a beer that have been used for decades and work very well. You may want to consider using one of them:

Irish Moss
Cold Crashing
Isinglass
Gelatin
etc.

Lots of people end up with crystal clear beer in the end, although I believe that patience is usually part of that. Some styles do not clear well, like wheat beers, and the like.

Several method above will work well. The filter you listed is more expensive than a beer filter. I don't know why you would use that.

If you already have it, you cannot mix fish and beer. Those filters are alive, that is why they work. Fish cleaning bacteria is not good for beer.

well i wasnt going to use the same filter for beer than i use for my fish :p
but okay if it doesnt make sense to use something like that, than i wont. :)
thanks for your advice :)

( just a short question, irish moos, is that cough sirup? i know irish moos only as cough sirup :p Oo )

Irish moss is a dried seaweed that is added to the last 5 minutes of the boil which aids in the post-boil protein break, reduces protein chill haze and improves beer clarity. You can either use it as it is or you can buy Whirlfloc tablets which is an enhanced form of Irish moss.

Back