First Year Success growing in Western NC Clay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWNC

Reaction score
Since I am the only person I know that grows hops west of Asheville and in the thick clay found in western NC and northern GA, I figured Id post my first year experience. I had a rather successful year thus far and am pleased with the number of cones I have.

Heres what I did and what happened:

I ordered 10 hop rhizomes (3 Zeus and 7 Cascade) from Freshhops.com and put them in a wet paper towel in the fridge.

I dug 10 holes about 5 feet apart less than 7 feet from a small creek. The holes were approximately 3 feet in diameter and 4 feet deep. This process took quite a while with the clay and the rocks.

I filled the holed with the "house" compost of a local farming supply store. It cost $35 a scoopful and was comprised of a number of composts, manures, etc.

I took the hop rhizomes out of the bag 45 minutes prior to planting and placed them in warm water.

I planted the hop rhizomes vertically with the sprouts up. These were placed in the soil about 4 inches down. I planted them on March 31st.

At two weeks the bines were breaking soil.

At 7 weeks, 9 of 10 plants were growing but were showing signs of nutrient deficiency. I mixed manure and topsoil together and placed it around the hops. I also begin a Miracle-Grow regimen or once a week.

At 10 weeks I saw a small infestation of leafhoppers. I sprayed organic spray and the problem disappeared.

I am now facing a Japanese beetle problem but believe I have solved it. The beetles were fornicating en masse on nearby grapes so I showered them with chemicals-they died and so did my beetle problem.

Hop flowers are now cones and 7 of the 10 plants have over 20 cones and have reached 25 feet.

Heres what I learned:

Freshops has a terrible record with rhizomes that produce male pants. I had one myself. The problem is that their rhizomes are so fruitful that the female rhizomes become stressed and produce male plants. I suggest killing all but 6 bines - keep the focus on the ones that are strong. People say that you should let them grow to build root structure the first year but this will result in male plants if the rhizomes produces 10+ bines in soil that can not support that type of growth.

Dont wait for you plants to become very stressed before you Miracle Grow. Organic farming is great and should be strived for but dont force it. I will be placing fish emulsion and manure over the plants to lessen the Mircale Grow use next year.

The structure for the hops is a story for another post. But I will tell you that my family raised this on a rainy Easter Sunday.

Heres the pictures:

150.jpg

142.jpg

146.jpg

image.jpg

image(2).jpg

Back