First year hop grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I planted this Magnum hop rhizome on April 16th. shes doing well I think.

i got 5 different hops plants and didn’t plant they other 4 until mid may. We had unusually cool april and may here in Maryland

All 5 are growing but the other 4 haven't been strung up yet. I know. I know. At least there establishing there root systems.

I also bought the Ibex hop growing system which I haven installed yet where 3 of the 5 will be strung for next season. The other 2 will stay where they are now.

I am currently growing them in pots and think that’s how they will stay. But may decide to plant them into ground. Any tips and info greatly appreciated

thanks
Dean

Attachments

• 0B714D29-D89E-45A6-8DCF-AF8B4854967C.jpeg
    0B714D29-D89E-45A6-8DCF-AF8B4854967C.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 41
If you have the option to plant them in the ground and you have no plans of moving houses in the next 4+ years, you should move them to the ground sooner than later. The plants will be much more robust long term.

Just curious, what other varieties did you plant?

The 5 I planted were. Magnum, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade.
It will be interesting to see which thrive best in Maryland’s hot humid summers. Where they are now they get sun from sunrise. Currently 5.20 am up until around 4-4.30 pm.
when I do move 3 of them. There going in the back yard in 1 of 2 areas. Due to a lot of large trees some areas of the back yard only get around 4 hours full sun. But found a couple of spots with 6-8 hours sun.

Hi all,
I planted this Magnum hop rhizome on April 16th. shes doing well I think.

i got 5 different hops plants and didn’t plant they other 4 until mid may. We had unusually cool april and may here in Maryland

All 5 are growing but the other 4 haven't been strung up yet. I know. I know. At least there establishing there root systems.

I also bought the Ibex hop growing system which I haven installed yet where 3 of the 5 will be strung for next season. The other 2 will stay where they are now.

I am currently growing them in pots and think that’s how they will stay. But may decide to plant them into ground. Any tips and info greatly appreciated

thanks
Dean

I like what I have read about the IBEX hop system. It is expensive though.

I was thinking about installing it in an area in my backyard but I first needed to cut down some dead pine trees. My gardener was very sick for weeks (not sure if it was due to the Covid-19) and finally was able to cut down the trees last week. Now, it is too hot to have plants shipped to AZ. It is probably good that I didn't buy the IBEX since this summer will tell if the hops can grow where I live. Plus, my alternative system is doing well......

Let us know how you like the IBEX hop system when you install it.

Back