First Wort Hopping BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done it with AG not BIAB...just add the FWH hops to your brew kettle as you run off your mash/wort before your boil.

Yes. After I pull the bag out and it has drained, or while draining depending on the setup, toss them in as you crank up the heat to bring it to a boil.

I've been thinking about this too. For people that do FWH + BIAB, how long are your hops sitting in hot wort before the boil? My impression of first wort hopping with all-grain brewing with a traditional setup is that you're steeping the hops for an hour at least while you sparge. When I sparge my grains, still in the bag, in a strainer suspended over by brew kettle, it doesn't take anywhere close to an hour.

So do any of you BIAB + FWHers do a post-sparge steep? How hot? How long?

I mashed a half oz of Northern Brewer hops for Mike McDole's Janet's Brown Ale for the duration of the mash (60 mins at 153 F) per the recipe. So the hops were right in the bag with the grains for the full 60 at 153 F:

IMG_3918.JPG

(that's everything but my base grain)

After the 60 min mash, I mashed out at 170 F for 10 minutes, pulled/drained the bag and proceeded with normal hop additions at boil. Was my first time ever adding hops to the mash. The wort, as it entered the boil, already had some hop bitterness. Now the beer is on tap and is tasting quite nice.

Mashing hopping might be better suited for BIAB. I do a hybrid BIAB and add the FWH to the first runnings. They are in there like 10 minutes before I get a hop break. Then I add the second runnings and its another 10 minutes before the boil.

Calichusetts said:
Mashing hopping might be better suited for BIAB. I do a hybrid BIAB and add the FWH to the first runnings. They are in there like 10 minutes before I get a hop break. Then I add the second runnings and its another 10 minutes before the boil.

Do you feel like you get good hop flavor this way? Have you ever done an extended steep before the boil?

Hard to tell...if I usually do a FWH and then all late additions (sometimes a 60 minute addition if I want something extra bitter.) They are usually hop bombs to begin with so there is a really nice flavor and aroma but with so many additions, and usually a dry hop, I can't say if a FWH really makes the difference.

I'd rather do a whirlpool steep than a FWH steep if I'm after flavor/aroma. But that would be an interesting experiment that I have not tried. It's probably 20 minutes for me in terms of FWH before it gets to a boil. I don't know how much longer I would do it.

Back