First try at a cider. A little help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimsta

Reaction score
Well, it's too late to ask but here's what I did.

- 1.4832 lb brown sugar (yes, i measured it on a scale :) )
- Topped that off with some pure crystalline fructose I had at work, so all together 2 lbs of sugar.
- 2.5 gallon organic apple cider
- 1.5 gallon organic apple juice, no preservatives
- 1 gallon clean unadultered h2O
- 2 lb frozen mixed berries, no preservatives, thawed
- Champagne yeast

I simmered the water just enough so that the sugars would dissolve and poured that into the carboy. Topped off with the juices. Then after that, I threw the fruits right on top, then pitched my yeast. Primary read about 74 degrees after it was all mixed in. Was it a bad idea to pitch the yeast directly on top of the fruit? Does it even matter?

I would have hydrated the yeast but it will eventually hydrate, wake up, and find the food. The fruit will fall to the bottom when it's ready. Then you will have cider. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, is it neccessary to use a blowoff tube, or can i just stick with a ferm. lock?

I had some blow off with my cider w/ brown sugar but I didn't use Champagne yeast so I can't say for sure. Either you will find out the hard way or someone who has used that yeast can jump in.

I used champagne yeast and brown sugar in mine and had no blow off at all. In fact I didn't even have any foam.

The Cider is coming along great, and it hasn't blown off once. It's still fermenting too, which i'm suprised about that (started the batch March 3rd).

Latest posts

Back