First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAJM

Reaction score
hi, this is my first time in all grain, and I don't have a mash tun, but considering the BIAB, is it possible if I just germinate or sprouted the barley then roast it, extract malt and use it for brewing?

Oh, it's possible, but that would probably be the hardest way to make beer IMO. Malting of barley is a fine science. You'll find that most homebrewers (99.9%) rely on buying their grains already roasted because it is difficult and time consuming. If you want to malt to experience, go for it, but don't be disappointed if your extraction in the brewing process is poor. If you are doing it to save money, well, what can I say. Base malt is pretty cheap when you think about it.

hi, this is my first time in all grain, and I don't have a mash tun, but considering the BIAB, is it possible if I just germinate or sprouted the barley then roast it, extract malt and use it for brewing?

I'd suggest you start with commercially malted grains. Making beer with all grain has plenty of places to go wrong and when you add the home grown/home malted/home roasted grain you add so much complexity to the process that if you have problems and don't get a decent beer nobody here will be able to help you. Once you have made a few beers all grain and feel confident with your understanding of the process, then try malting your own barley for a batch or too. Just understand that you are trying a difficult path to tread.:rockin:

Oh, it's possible, but that would probably be the hardest way to make beer IMO. Malting of barley is a fine science. You'll find that most homebrewers (99.9%) rely on buying their grains already roasted because it is difficult and time consuming. If you want to malt to experience, go for it, but don't be disappointed if your extraction in the brewing process is poor. If you are doing it to save money, well, what can I say. Base malt is pretty cheap when you think about it.

I'd suggest you start with commercially malted grains. Making beer with all grain has plenty of places to go wrong and when you add the home grown/home malted/home roasted grain you add so much complexity to the process that if you have problems and don't get a decent beer nobody here will be able to help you. Once you have made a few beers all grain and feel confident with your understanding of the process, then try malting your own barley for a batch or too. Just understand that you are trying a difficult path to tread.:rockin:

Thank you for answers!
It is really hard to get barley here in my place, specially malted barley, so I'm thinking of malting my own.

Where are you, if I may ask?

If you are far away, then that may be what you need to do. If you run a search here or on the wider web, there are people doing their own malting in small batches.

If you try it, keep notes and let us know how it goes.

Where are you, if I may ask?

If you are far away, then that may be what you need to do. If you run a search here or on the wider web, there are people doing their own malting in small batches.

If you try it, keep notes and let us know how it goes.

Sir, I'm from Philippines, there are no brew supply store here. so that makes home brewing hard.

Back