First time using dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
I will be trying dry yeast (S-04) for the first time. Am I good to go using one packet and do I need to make a starter for dry yeast? If yest to making a starter is it the same procedure as liquid with boiled DME added to to the yeast or is it something different? Thanks.

No starter needed, but I recommend re-hydrating your yeast in sterilized (boiled) water that has cooled down to 100 degrees for about 15-30 minutes prior to pitching.

All i have ever done is sprinkle it on top of the wort. Wait 10 to 15 mins and stir it in. Never had a problem but I never tried it on a big beer (OG > 1.060).

In every case had airlock activity within 4 to 5 hours.

I have never even rehydrated dry yeast. Never had a problem just pitching it.

I may be wrong, but I think you can rehydrate dry yeast in distilled water as well. 100 degrees sounds a little hot to me, but I rehydrate baking yeast at 100-110, so I suppose 100 is not too bad for brewing yeast. FYI, I rehydrate my yeast at 75-80.

I am planning a high gravity ipa this weekend. I think I will try pitching two packs of dry yeast.

I am planning a high gravity ipa this weekend. I think I will try pitching two packs of dry yeast.

I'd pitch 2 for any gravity...Check thier website they say there is 6billion cells per gram so thats 69 billion viable cells about equal to 1 vial of whitelabs liquid (30-60billion). Double that and you'll have plenty of yeast.

I hydrate in 85F pre boiled water for 15-30 minutes or until a frothy foam is on top.

if you ferment for a while and then it gets stuck, you can use beano tablets to convert some of the leftover starches to sugar

Back