First time transfer, ball valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thazo79

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I have been fermenting my first beer in a plastic fermentor bucket with a nozzle.
My initial plan was to bypass the need for a siphon by using the nozzle and tubing to transfer the beer from the fermentor to a bottling bucket, where it will mix with boiled sugar water.
However, I am worried about the nozzle.
The portion of the ball joint in the nozzle that is in contact with the beer is clean as it was sterilized before the wort was put in there.
But, now that it has been fermenting for two weeks, the part of the ball inside the nozzle that has been exposed to the open portion of the nozzle is or should be considered contaminated, right?
If I open the nozzle, to allow the beer to flow out, the ball inside will rotate and expose possible contaminants to the beer.
How would I clean that portion of the ball valve before I transfer?

While your theory is correct, in actual practice you do not need to worry about this too much. I just use a spray bottle of starsan to spray the spigots the best I can for a little insurance.

If the spigot is visibly dirty (mold spot) than I would go to plan B and use a siphon.

What type of nozzle/valve do you have on your fermenter? I have several with the cheapo plastic spigots. I generally spray some Star San up into the spigot and give it a quick cleaning with a small brush. Be sure it is clean to start with and give it a good spray with Star San anytime you take a sample.

What type of nozzle/valve do you have on your fermenter? I have several with the cheapo plastic spigots. I generally spray some Star San up into the spigot and give it a quick cleaning with a small brush. Be sure it is clean to start with and give it a good spray with Star San anytime you take a sample.
It’s just the plastic kind. I will do what you suggest! Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

Back