First time starter.... wanting verification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhercules

Reaction score
I think I got it.

10-1 with DME and water (1g DME for 10 ML water)

I used Mrmalty to estamate how big of a starter. Says 4.19 liters.

That just seems a little much, maybe not.

I am shooting for a SG of 1.077

Does this seem right to you guys?

Thanks for the help

Could be right. Depends on if you're using a stir plate, intermittent shaking, or leaving it alone the whole time.

If you're doing a simple starter w/ no shaking, 5.25gal @ 1.077 OG, I get the same result from Mr Malty, and it's correct.

I would at least recommend intermittent shaking. Every time you walk by it, give it a good shake to reintroduce oxygen. This alone will drop your size by nearly half. (Though be wary, as CO2 coming out of solution can cause a mess!)

I see that.

What is "intermittent shaking" I plan on making my starter sunday night and brew/ pitch Tuesday night. I can shake it while at work. But can in the morning and evenings. Does that suffice?

Just every few hours. If you are at work it should be alright during the day but definitely shake right before and after and then every couple hours when you are there. It won't negatively effect your yeast by not shaking it but is definitely good to do.

-Jeff

The morning/evening shaking you mention that you can do is the "intermittent shaking". If you can shake it as often as possible then according to Mr Malty you can get by with 3L starter. Another option is to start a day or two earlier and step it up starting smaller, decanting, then adding more wort.

Just every few hours. If you are at work it should be alright during the day but definitely shake right before and after and then every couple hours when you are there.

I personally wouldn't make it "air tight" so much as covered. I usually cover with a bit of aluminum foil. Making it air tight is asking for an explosive release when you agitate it.

The rest of the advice on "intermetent" is good, every 12 hours as a minimum, more frequently if you can - say every 4 hours or every 3.

By shaking (or stiring) you 1. Add a bit more O2, and 2 just as important if not more, you off gas CO2, and make the partial preasure of the starter less on the yeast, alowing them easier life.

I personally wouldn't make it "air tight" so much as covered. I usually cover with a bit of aluminum foil. Making it air tight is asking for an explosive release when you agitate it.

The rest of the advice on "intermetent" is good, every 12 hours as a minimum, more frequently if you can - say every 4 hours or every 3.

By shaking (or stiring) you 1. Add a bit more O2, and 2 just as important if not more, you off gas CO2, and make the partial preasure of the starter less on the yeast, alowing them easier life.

haha alright, definitely not air tight.

-Jeff

Latest posts

Back