First Time - Process looks Successful!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I bottled my first all-grain brew this evening and was very pleased with the smell, color, and clarity of it. I brewed a slight variation of Yooper's Dead Guy clone and hit my numbers pretty well...

Estimated Pre-boil Gravity: 1.059
Actual Pre-boil Gravity: 1.060

Estimated OG: 1.067
Actual OG: 1.070

Estimated FG: 1.015
Actual FG: 1.020

Estimated ABV: 6.84%
Actual ABV: 6.53%

My actual OG was a little higher than I anticipated because I intended to mash at 154° and actually mashed at 158°. Since it was my first time, I sorta felt like I would rather be on the high side than fall below 150°, so I let it ride. I'll have a little fuller-bodied beer, but that won't bother me a bit :)

I made my second AG batch on Sunday, which was a variation of BM's Centennial Blonde. I used a different MLT for this brew, and my pre-boil and original gravities are both higher than expected, and the only reason I can come up with on that is because I formulated the recipe with an estimated 75% brewhouse efficiency and actually got somewhere between 80 and 85% with this MLT. It's also a little high because my boil-off was a little higher than I expected and I didn't compensate by adding top-off water and I probably should have. I should be able to adjust for that on my next trip around...

Oh well... Lots to learn still :)

Latest posts

Back