First time, no sanitizer, pee'd on it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madtown Brew said:
One thing to note: while the urine in your bladder is probably sterile (assuming your healthy), your... (searching for appropriate word)... outflow hole likely is not. If you or anyone else ever has the nightmarish compulsion to try this again, it'd probably be a good idea to swab the "exit valve" with some rubbing alcohol.

You could probably just dangle your hang down in your previous brew. ;)

This is funny, but I can't believe the myth about pee being sterile has caught on so strong. As a biology teacher I can give you a few basic facts. Urine has very slight antiseptic properties. That means because of it's pH it may be able to kill stuff. I would imagine the myth about it being sterile to oneself comes from the fact that if it came from your body, you already have whatever bad things are in it. It is by no means sterile. Consider the fact that it is your body's waste product. Some of you are correct in that it picks up nasties as it leaves your body.

a better solution would be anything acidic (or basic like bleach). Dipping your equipment in drano would have to be better than peeing on it. Besides, try filling your carboy with pee for sanitation.

the teacher said:
This is funny, but I can't believe the myth about pee being sterile has caught on so strong.

This is one pervasive myth ;) I think you have a lot of educating to do:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Urine-Culture
Urine in the bladder normally is sterile-it does not contain any bacteria or other organisms (such as fungi). But bacteria can enter the urethra during urination.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/urinesample.htm
Urine is normally sterile, but it can get contaminated through bacteria on the skin and the genitals on its way out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine
Urine is generally considered to be at least fairly sterile. When it leaves the body, however, the urine can pick up bacteria from the surrounding skin, which would contaminate it.

I sense a bit of sarcasm.
If "sterile"= no bacteria, that doesn't mean it's clean. Also, in order to reach the "sterile" urine you would have to shove your brewing equipment up your urethra and into your bladder. Of course that would potentially introduce bacteria on the way in. Another misconception is that liquids that are sterile have the ability to sterilize. Just because pee in your bladder may be clean doesn't mean that you can use to clean other things.

Bottom line, pee does not equal sanitizing solution. tap water would be better.

the teacher said:
a better solution would be anything acidic (or basic like bleach). Dipping your equipment in drano would have to be better than peeing on it. Besides, try filling your carboy with pee for sanitation.

Why stop at just peeing in your carboy when you can use it to sterilise your kitchen benches and floor. Why waste money buying dishwasher soap when you can just pee in the dishwasher then run it through it's cycle.

Lol sorry just taking the piss!

Pardon the pun.

Gives a whole new idea to the concept of peeing in the shower.
Hell, why use soap? In fact, why not just pee on your hands
while you use the bathroom? It will at least save water.

Oh, that link with the v@9inal yeast beer - it sure could drive
the hb cost a bit for some.

I admire your dedication to brew...think I would have personally waited until I could get some sanitizer but I'm just crazy I guess! Glad it tasted fine for you...

I suppose there could be a double advantage to the urine thing. It doubles as a facial cleanser after your done.....

the teacher said:
This is funny, but I can't believe the myth about pee being sterile has caught on so strong. As a biology teacher I can give you a few basic facts. Urine has very slight antiseptic properties. That means because of it's pH it may be able to kill stuff. I would imagine the myth about it being sterile to oneself comes from the fact that if it came from your body, you already have whatever bad things are in it. It is by no means sterile. Consider the fact that it is your body's waste product. Some of you are correct in that it picks up nasties as it leaves your body.

I think that this would be a good myth for Mythbusters!!

Damn Squirrels said:
No... I tried this technique. It really works!!!!

Lol I don't remember having a pee bucket in the science labs at high school.

rotary_full said:
I call BS....... no way this is real

TROLL!!!
If it's a joke, pshavet is going way out of his way to keep a joke going. He has only posted twice, the OP and his reply months later.

Its not a myth at all that pee is sterile. You can drink it and not get sick, thats what they mean by 'sterile' not that its 100% microbe free. Its definitley not going to stay sterile for very long its a breeding ground for bacteria.

Ivan Lendl said:
Its not a myth at all that pee is sterile. You can drink it and not get sick, thats what they mean by 'sterile' not that its 100% microbe free. Its definitley not going to stay sterile for very long its a breeding ground for bacteria.

i learned that from man vs wild!
he was stuck in some desert area, and couldn't find any water, so he drank his pee for a little bit.

brian williams said:
i learned that from man vs wild!
he was stuck in some desert area, and couldn't find any water, so he drank his pee for a little bit.
Watched that last night. I couldn't stop gagging. I'm not sure if that was the Moab Desert one or the Outback one (I watched them both) ...

The dude in Utah who cut his arm off survived by drinking his urine. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Anyone who's drank enough Bud Light shouldn't find it too revolting.

PS - being sterile and being a sterilizer are two different things.

Cheesefood said:
PS - being sterile and being a sterilizer are two different things.

For instance: Lance Armstrong is partly sterile; however, when he touches things, the only way they're going to get cleaner is if he's holding a bar of soap.

(PS: OMG... I really hope there's no karmic backlash for a nut-cancer joke... either that or Sheryl Crow will come to my house and beat me to death... naked... which I would welcome.)

(PPS: Is Sheryl Crow still married to him?)

(PPPS: "PeePeeS... hee hee)

(PPPPS: Can you believe I'm like this while at work? That's not a good sign.)

Cheryl and Lance broke up 2 years ago, never were married. I guess she had a hard time being around someone with real talent. :p

Rook said:
If pee was a great cleaner, you would never, ever, need to clean a urinal.

Well, do you clean your toilet? I don't clean mine... For people who do it, it's just done for appearance...

Think about it. When was the last time someone died from a dirty bathroom?

Damn Squirrels said:
Well, do you clean your toilet? I don't clean mine... For people who do it, it's just done for appearance...

Umm, I do. Poopy is not even remotely sterile. Where fresh urine (relatively speaking) is. The only thing fresh urine has in it is stuff it picks up on its way throught the urethra that is normal flora and maybe some bacteria.

Even though urine may be sterile it is not a sanitizer, it will not kill bacteria. Beer is sterile also so it is possible to rinse everything with a cheap beer.

If you use bleach and feel rinsing with water defeats the purpose go buy some $3 a case lucky lager and rinse with that, it will rinse the bleach out and the beer is sanitary. I would not pee in the fermenter though....:eek:

Damn Squirrels said:

LOL! I love how this went from "Is pee a cleaner" to "yeah but you won't die from a dirty bathroom"

And yeah... I clean my toilet, or rather swmbo does :)

mward said:
Cheryl and Lance broke up 2 years ago, never were married. I guess she had a hard time being around someone with real talent. :p

You know how I know you're gay? You follow celebrity gossip.

I am happy to report, I have now been using this method for 3 years now. After many succesfull batches, I am now selling my sanitizer as a product. Expect it on the store shelves soon.

Back