First time mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_Thorne

Reaction score
Just started my first mead 12 days ago, and I read in the kit that I got that I shouldn't shake or add air to the brew after the 5th day when I made a second add of yeast nutrients, but have seen online that I should stir or mix it up during the first few weeks. I haven't done it, because I don't t know what to do haha. I guess I just need some info and knowledge.

It isn't really about time so much as it is about how far along the fermentation is. Oxygen is very helpful to the yeast when they're first starting out. Once there's a significant amount of alcohol in the must though (I usually assume 1/3rd mark but have seen some people advocate for half-way to fermentation), the benefits are mostly gone and the risk of oxidization has increased significantly. Shaking and adding air for several weeks is definitely outdated guidance, but there's unfortunately a lot of that online. It sounds like you picked up a decent kit though!

I'd suggest taking a hydrometer reading to see how far along your ferment is. Very likely it has already passed the 1/3rd sugar break (usually a well-fed must reaches that within less than a week), but a reading is the only way to know for sure.

Thanks for the info. My wife got me a very simple kit to use and I followed the directions haha but had no idea about the readings you are talking about. I've got a lot to learn. I'm attaching some pics and a video if I can to see if you think what I have going is right from just a visual reference. Today will be day 13 of brewing. 6-6-2021

Attachments

• 20210606_101636.jpg
    20210606_101636.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210606_101659.jpg
    20210606_101659.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210606_102410.mp4
    42.7 MB
Welcome to the hobby

Consdier getting a hydrometer and Utube a video on how to read it. (its your best indication of how well your fermentation is progressing.)

NOTE - Your video worked well and it appears you ferment is coming along just fine. Might be slowing a bit.

As far as stirring your Must / Mead my practice has been to:
- Stir or shake it vigorously right at yeast pitch to incorporate air. Yeast early in the process are in their aerobic phase and requrie air to reproduce (bud and divide) But only to 1/3 sugar break.
- After 1/3 sugar break then air is not good for yeast / your must as it will / can cause oxidation and unwanted flavors as well your yeast generally convert to anearobic and no longer need the air.
- There are differing opinions on stirring the yeast after the 1/3 to 1/2 sugar break. I personnaly have found it to be beneficial to gently stir or swirl the sediment to get the yeast back in suspension to about 1/2 sugar break. (Not sure it really matters much but makes me feel good. :cool:)

Your sugar breaks are calcualted this way:
- After you mix your kit or honey and water and before adding your yeast take a hydromtere reading to get your Specific Gracity. (SG)
- The SG indicates the amount of sugar present in your must. (A hydrometer reads water at 1.000 at 68 Deg F.)
- Then check it periodically until your ferment is "Done". Usually somewhere back to near 1.000 (Could be a bit less.) Wait for the hydrometer readings to stop dropping about 5 days apart.

Example:
- Just before yeast pitch if your SG is 1.100 (You have to take into account the water and understanding that water is always 1.000 so ignore the water for now. Your just concerned about the sugars that will be converted to alcohol.)
- Subtract the 1.000 then divide the remaining 0.100 by 3 and you get .033
- Subtratct the 0.033 from 0.100 and you get 0.067 and add back the 1.000 from the water making your 1/3 sugar break 1.067.
1.100 - 1.000 = 0.100
0.100 / 3 = 0.067
0.067 + 1.000 = 1.067 (1/3 Sugar break from 1.100)

Works for any starting SG and 1/4 , 1/3, 1/2 etc spots in your ferment you want to evaluate.

Finally time is your friend - It looks like your still fermenting let it finish. (Determined by your SG readings.) When the yeast are "done" it will start to clear and the yeast / other solids will settle out.
- For traditional mead (14 - 16% Alcohol by volumne ABV when done) and good nutrients and practice takes anywhere from 20 - 40 days to eat through the sugars in what i call primary feremntation. I usually target a SG of 1.010 and rack (remove the mead) from the sediment.
- Let it "finish" in secondary another 12 - 30 days and wait for it to clear. Rack again and bottle or add spices, fruit etc.

Good luck - Enjoy the journey!

Just started my first mead 12 days ago, and I read in the kit that I got that I shouldn't shake or add air to the brew after the 5th day when I made a second add of yeast nutrients, but have seen online that I should stir or mix it up during the first few weeks. I haven't done it, because I don't t know what to do haha. I guess I just need some info and knowledge.
Hi Charles,

I've made Mead for the first time recently. I made a 1 Gallon batch. This is the method that I used and it turned out great.

3 Gallons of honey for 1 gallon batch, champagne yeast, a pinch of yeast nutrients, some hop pellets. Filled it up the carboy half way and shaked to aerate/mix everything. Then topped off to the 1 gallon mark. Sat back and waited 4 weeks + and had a sample and it tasted great. Very hands off process. I usually brew beer but mead is very easy to make. Good luck hope it taste great for you too.

Back