First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nianticcardplayer

Homebrewing Since 2009
Reaction score
Good day all I recent,y made the Anchor Steam Liberty Ale clone that was in the last issue of BYO magazine and instead of botteling I am going to keg for my first time and I am planning to use naturally carb in the keg the recipe calls for 2/3 of a cup of corn sugar to the five gallons when carbing naturally is the me amount used to carb in the keg or is more or less used and how does one figure it out? I have searched and I haven't found anything that explains it well.

I use 2.5 oz per keg when naturally carbing, or about half of that for bottling. Not sure what that is in cups.

Is that right? I was under the impression that you needed less sugar to keg condition than to bottle condition. I have always force carbed but have no room to hook up another keg so I am planning to do this for the next few batches and am interested in the reply.

Is that right? I was under the impression that you needed less sugar to keg condition than to bottle condition. I have always force carbed but have no room to hook up another keg so I am planning to do this for the next few batches and am interested in the reply.

I think he just got his words mixed up. If bottling requires 5 oz, then keg would be 2.5 oz.

When I first read his post, I understood. When I went back and read it again, it did read off a bit.

Oh, you crazy phrasing!!!

But... YES! When I do sugar carb, I use half the required sugar in the keg. If it's not enough, it won't take long to force carb it to your liking. ;-)

Back