First time kegging problems maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon77

Reaction score
So everything seems to be going fine except that the regulator value keeps creeping up and nothing other than gently shaking the keg gets the psi back down. Yes I've fiddled with adjuster. Does anyone know what this means.

What's you initial setting and what does it creep to?

What's the temp of the keg and the CO2? (is it cold, just put it in, etc?)

Is the beer already carbed?

I tried tokeep the initial psi at 20.

I stuck the keg in the freezer but not the co2.

I poured some and it is partially carbonated.

If you're setting the pressure with the keg hooked up then you'll get some creep upward. Try this with no pressure on the keg, turn the shutoff valve off or take the gas line off if you don't have a shutoff. Set the regulator to the pressure you want then turn the valve on or put the gas line back on the keg. You'll see the gauge drop and it will take a while for it to get back to the setting you had.

If it still goes above your setting then I'd start questioning the regulator

When you shake your keg it's dissolving CO2 into the beer and more is flowing into the headspace, that's why your pressure gauge drops.

Depending on your temperature you may have a highly carbonated beer at 20psi

I tried tokeep the initial psi at 20.

I stuck the keg in the freezer but not the co2.

I poured some and it is partially carbonated.

How long was it at 20 psi and at what temperature? That's a pretty high pressure, and if the pressure in the keg (carb level) is higher than the current setting, the regulator will creep to the pressure in the keg.

Back