First time Kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodisBeer916

Reaction score
Kegged yesterday for the first time with instructions from Northern Brewer. Answered most of my questions. I have a couple more questions though...and I'm sure I'll have more. 1) I don't know if I am suppose to leave the C02 pressure at 10psi for dispensing and maintaining/storage pressure? 2) Can I leave my Plastic Cobra Head Faucet attached at all times...seems that the C02 pressure is forcing beer out even though the faucet is closed? Lastly, for now, 3) Why do I have beer haze after kegging when I didn't before I kegged (at FG reading)? Help.

I haven't done any kegging, but as far as your beer having a haze, it could be a chill haze which is one of the most common things to cause cloudiness.

You do not "need" to leave it on to maintain pressure, but if you have checked for leaks and there are non there will be no harm in it, but it will help insure equilibrium and it is more convenient. If you are referring to a picnic tap then you should be able to leave it attached, but if it is leaking i would get a new one. I leave mine hooked up so it is always ready to go, and I have never had one drop leak out in the fridge.

It's possible there is a small peice of hop or other debris stuck on the picnic tap by the seal making it drip. It should come apart in two peices. Take it apart and clean( make sure the disconnect is taken off first)

1) I don't know if I am suppose to leave the C02 pressure at 10psi for dispensing and maintaining/storage pressure?

10 PSI to carb, run about 4-5 psi to dispence.

2) Can I leave my Plastic Cobra Head Faucet attached at all times...seems that the C02 pressure is forcing beer out even though the faucet is closed?

Don`t put the beer out line on during the carb processes. Once it is carbed you can leave it on at 4-5 lbs.

3) Why do I have beer haze after kegging when I didn't before I kegged (at FG reading)?

It is called "chill haze". It happens when you chill your beer. It will clear with time, good news is it won`t effect taste so....DRINK UP!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and adivce, it is all appreciated. I agree with the chill haze...it still taste good. Concerning the leaking faucet head I suspect I may have a crushed O ring in the post, because even after I take the quick disconnect off the post still leaks beer from the top. Guess I'll just have to hurry and empty the keg!!! Thanks again.

1) I don't know if I am suppose to leave the C02 pressure at 10psi for dispensing and maintaining/storage pressure?

10 PSI to carb, run about 4-5 psi to dispence.

This will work, but it is not ideal. You would have to set it back to 10 PSI after dispensing if you wanted to keep it at that carbonation level. IMO, a better approach is to balance your beer line length so that you can carb and serve at the same pressure.

I also am new to kegging, and I also attached my beer-out line during carbonation. Apparently that's an error?

Should I disconnect the beer line for now, or just leave it?

Thank you all for your suggestions and adivce, it is all appreciated. I agree with the chill haze...it still taste good. Concerning the leaking faucet head I suspect I may have a crushed O ring in the post, because even after I take the quick disconnect off the post still leaks beer from the top. Guess I'll just have to hurry and empty the keg!!! Thanks again.

It sounds like the spring loaded poppet valve in the post isn't centered. These can always be a headache to center correctly when installing after cleaning.
Just release the keg pressure completely and remove the post, then knock-out the poppet and re-center it. Sometimes it helps to hold it centered gently with a toothpick or something while turning the post down. If it slips again while tightening, you will see that it is not flush or canted slightly. Just back the post off and retry until you get it.

You should be able to leave both connected all the time. The tap should not leak (clean or replace).

Carbination is ~ 1 week at ~10psi or 2-3 days at ~30psi
Serve (and maintain) at ~10psi

I also am new to kegging, and I also attached my beer-out line during carbonation. Apparently that's an error?

Should I disconnect the beer line for now, or just leave it?

I carb my kegs with the beer line attached. as long as there are no leeks your fine

Latest posts

Back