first time hop grower check out my setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
Ok I live in western kansas we get about 2 to 3 weeks of single didgit lows and teens for the highs. Do you think I will have winter kill on the roots if I just leave my planter above ground. Or should I bury it... I really don't want to dig a 16 foot long 3.2 food wide and foot deep hole haha here is what I have set up so far cascade cintennial Chinook wilmette

20150314_175805.jpg

20150314_175748.jpg

looks good. My son grew some last year in 2'x2'x3' high boxes. He just kicked them over and separated several dozen big shoots. He said that they not only grew to the bottom of his 3' tall boxes, but actually grew down deeper into the soil.

I'm in south central kansas and going to try growing nugget and williamette on a chain link fence. I have no room for a trellis due to the kids toys and playhouse.... But I've seen fences get taken over.

Ok I live in western kansas we get about 2 to 3 weeks of single didgit lows and teens for the highs. Do you think I will have winter kill on the roots if I just leave my planter above ground. Or should I bury it... I really don't want to dig a 16 foot long 3.2 food wide and foot deep hole haha here is what I have set up so far cascade cintennial Chinook wilmette

You'll probably be fine. Being right next to the house will help, you'd be surprised how much it insulates a raised bed like that.

That looks great. There's so much room to go up. Do you have twine or anything coming from the boxes? I cannot tell.

I am just the other side of river east from you. Similar winter conditions.

Are you putting bottoms on those boxes? If not, that root ball will take care of itself and grow right down into the ground. If you are putting bottoms on those, then I would worry about stability, but you would definitely want to mulch over them.

(not sure where you will get mulch as your pics remind me why I get so lost out there, no trees, no scenery, no nothing....LOL)

Back