First time high OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millarkey

Reaction score
Hello all, Im new to home brewing and new to HB Talk. Im brewing my first high OG (1.084) double IPA and it's been in the primary for one week today. The airlock has slowed to about two bubbles per minute and my first reading, today, is at 1.020 (tastes great by the way). Here's my problem, I've just been called out of the country and won't be back for two weeks. Looking for suggestions; should I let her sit until I return or rack it now?

Let it sit. Not a problem at all, especially with a big beer like yours. In fact, most people here will recommend you not even use a secondary. Just let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks or longer, then bottle it. No worries at all

Longer the better! I hardly ever rack to secondary unless I want a really clear beer, but you can ultimately even obtain that without racking to a secondary.

Thanks for the info guys. Certainly made the decision much easier. Final question, is it wrong to talk or sing the the brew?

Back