First time force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got my kegging equipment Friday and I filled my two cornys today.

I have the kegs hooked up to the tank but I have a question. I do not have a kegerator yet so Im trying to carb them at room temperature. Right now I have the PSI set to 15 on both kegs.

I see that most people here force carb cold but I dont have that option what should I set the pressure at without it? Currently room temp is about 60 degrees give or take.

Also when it comes time to server I should dial the co2 down to 5psi right?

Thanks

Ideally you want to cool the beer before carbing, because you will use less CO2 to do so. I've never carbed at 60F, but beersmith is telling me it would require around 21 psi. 5 psi would be a good serving pressure. After it's carbed, vent the keg then set to serving pressure.

Yup the warmer the beer is the more C02 required. 15psi isn't enough. There are a stack of C02 charts that will tell you exactly what psi you require to achieve the carbonation you are after.

Actually it won't take more CO2, just higher pressure. At 60F, you'll need to raise the pressure to about 30psi and leave it there for about 2 weeks. You can speed that along by rocking the keg now and then or going as high as 50psi for a while.

Ideally you want to cool the beer before carbing, because you will use less CO2 to do so. I've never carbed at 60F, but beersmith is telling me it would require around 21 psi. 5 psi would be a good serving pressure. After it's carbed, vent the keg then set to serving pressure.

I will be kegging my first batch soon and was wondering if you
chill the fermenter then rack to the keg and then hook up the gas,
rack to the keg hook up the gas and then chill,
or rack to keg chill and then hook up the gas?
Or any and all of the above?

One good reason to chill the fermenter first is that it will clear the beer a lot more. Leave it cold for at least 24 hours. It doesn't really matter when you chill in relation to applying gas but the real carbonation will start happening when it finally gets cold.

I always chill the fermenter but it is to cold crash the yeast. After racking to the keg I gas it and purge a few times to vent any O2. then gas it to 30PSI and disconnect the line(I don't have a spare line outside the kegerator yet). Every morning on the way out the door I rock it for a minute then gas it again. After a week of this, I put it into storage untill there is room in the kegerator. Once in the kegerator I set it to serving pressure(12-16psi). My kegerator holds 4 kegs with 3 of them on tap. I like to keep one extra cold for when one of the tapped kegs goes belly up.
The correct answer is "any or all of the above"

Back