first time extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
hi there,

I got two brewing kits from a friend. It's muntons "nut brown ale" and "mexican cerveza". each can was paired with a can of muntons light malt extract

this is my first time brewing from extract, by now I only did all grain brews.

first question that I want to ask is about the yeast that I have gotten with the kits. it's some kind of no name yeast packed in a small 6 grams bag.

I really don't want to use it because I'm not sure what it is, and even if it is alive.

what yeast do you suggest for these two beers?

second thing I'm not sure is this mexican cerveza - is it top or bottom fermenting beer? what is it like?

third thing: maybe someone have a good tutorial for extract brewing :)

(I know it sounds weird, but I started with all grain and never tried extract, so I'm quite a noob with extract brewing)

thanks!

Hi 400. I think there is a sticky thread in the beginners brewing subforum on extract brewing - take a look and see. Also, if you read the first two chapters of www.howtobrew.com that will help you. And there is a YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewingVideo that has a bunch of video tutorials - slow moving but very thorough.

As for the yeast, if you want to stay with the dry yeast, how about US-04 for the Nut Brown Ale and US-05 for the Mexican Cervaza? Or if you go liquid, maybe London, English, or Edinburgh for the Nut Brown, and California Ale for the Mexican Cervaza? Just some ideas . . .

:tank:

Latest posts

Back