First time dry hopping need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I am going to dry hop for the first time today. I have heard people say that I can just throw them in there but I am nervous of that. Do I really not need to boil them or sanitize them at all? I plan to rack into secondary on top of them. Beer has been in fermenter for a week now. Any advice would be very appreciated. Brewing black ipa. Thanks

Right or wrong, I just threw an ounce of cascade pellets in mine just yesterday. It's my first time too but my 5th beer.

Nope you're fine just throwing them in..... beer spoilage organisms don't really live on hops, plus the alcohol, helps to inhibit bacteria growth. I like to toss my dry hops in just before fermentation has fully stopped so that the last bit of fermentation scrubbs out any oxygen that may be introduced from the hops

Before you do anything, take a gravity reading once per day for the next 2-3 days to be sure the beer is done fermenting. If the gravity stays the same you may rack, if not, leave it go a couple more days and do the same again.

If the beer is done, throw the hops into you sanitized carboy, sanitize your racking can and tubing and siphon the beer onto the hops. No you do not need to sanitize the hops.

5-7 days should be adequate for dry hopping, then bottle :)

I would use whole hops in a sanitized hop bag for easier removal later, but otherwise just toss it in.

d_jabsd said:
I would use whole hops in a sanitized hop bag for easier removal later, but otherwise just toss it in.

I have found that whole hops in a hop bag is not so easy as the whole hops suck up a lot of beer and trying to pull a sack out that's swelled to 5 times it's original size is quite a chore through the neck of a Carboy. I just let them swim :)

Just toss them in. Dont worry about it one single bit... I dry hop massively all the time and repitch the yeast sometimes 5 times with no infection noted after years and years of doing so. Rdwhahb. Also screw the secondary its just extra work unless you have to cellar the beer.

timely question.

so, if I wanted a really hoppy IPA, what are the implications of double dry hopping? Recipe calls for 1 oz dry - what if I did 1 oz dry when I rack to secondary, and then another oz of pellets just before I bottle?

timely question.

so, if I wanted a really hoppy IPA, what are the implications of double dry hopping? Recipe calls for 1 oz dry - what if I did 1 oz dry when I rack to secondary, and then another oz of pellets just before I bottle?

Are you going to be bottling conditioning with the hops in suspension?? If not, the addition just prior to bottling isn't really going to impart much in the way of flavour and fragrance. I sometimes use hop oil, got a little bottle of cascade hop oil, just before bottling which seems to work quite well.:mug:

So I racked onto the hops in the secondary and they are all floating at the top. Should I mix it on? Or just leave it NAND they will mix on their own?

donjonson said:
So I racked onto the hops in the secondary and they are all floating at the top. Should I mix it on? Or just leave it NAND they will mix on their own?

Leave them. Let them soak.

I used 3 oz whole hops in the primary my last batch and it wasn't overkill at all. If you want to go with 2 oz, I wouldnt hesitate.

sure, a half oz will be noticeable, but it might not last if stored for a long time. dry-hopping only really contributes aroma to the beer and it will dissipate over time.

sure, a half oz will be noticeable, but it might not last if stored for a long time. dry-hopping only really contributes aroma to the beer and it will dissipate over time.

I think there is some confusion on what dry hopping does this is right on. If you are looking for more flavor then bump up for 5 and 0 min additions.

Latest posts

Back