First time brewer sanitizing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am preparing to brew for the first time (2nd if you include the KISS Mr. Beer kit that got me hooked in the first place)
Got a deluxe kit with glass carboys and all the bells and whistles that I will need.

I have watched the DVD that came with the kit, read How to Brew and still have a sanitizing question.

When it comes to putting items into the sanitizer, for example siphon and racking cane, do I make sure to try and get the entire thing submerged, or just the portions that would (or could) come into contact with the beer?

I guess I don't usually have a problem getting the whole tool sanitized but long story short, it it touches the beer, sanitize it.

What kind of sanitizer are you using? If it's something like OneStep you can put it into a spray bottle and spray your equipment down. I believe the contact time is 30 seconds. As long as it's wet with the solution (and the equipment doesn't have gunk on it) then it should sanitize.

StarSan came with the kit. 2 min contact time. Pretty sure that I can spray it on.

My gut instinct was "if it touches (or could possibly touch) the beer, SANITIZE IT!!

THanks for the help

I sanitize in a six gallon bottling bucket and the auto-siphon sticks up a bit so I just dunk one end, rub some water on the other, and then pick it up and dunk the other end all the while making sure nothing touches anything but my sanitized hands and the bucket.

That answers another question that I had. If my hands are covered in sanitizer, then they too are sanitized? Still a 2 minute contact time?

Gotta love forums!

My confidence level was already high, but with the knowledge that at any time I can ask for help and input, it makes the confidence endless.
:rockin:

I don't know if this is accurate but I was hearing that they have to put 2 minutes on StarSan and OneStep because they're not regulated by the FDA or something. It was kind of weird but 30 seconds is the legitimate wet contact time.

You probably already know this but just in case, you can't sanitize something that isn't clean first, so make sure you clean your equipment before sanitizing it.

Back