First Time Brewer in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wrath_of_Khan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Nate. A few co-workers of mine have had kits from William's Brewing and after a few sips of a friends freshly brewed Weizenbeer I knew I had to get into this. I am an American living in Japan. Micro brewing isn't popular here, so I am very limited on beer choice normally. Making my own brews solves this problem. I just bottled my first brew of "Triple Hopped Ale". I am hoping it turns out as good as it smelled. I found this website through a google search for home brewing forums.

I am interested in starting to grow my own hops. Does anyone here do that or have some good resources on growing hops.

hey and welcome to HBT. I've never tasted anyones homebrew but my own so thats cool someone else inspired you to join/ i got into this from tasting microbrews in america and back here in ireland we dont have a great selection. i hope your first turns out as well as mine did and im sure it will.

There's a lot of great information on this website if you search around. i know that a few guys here grow their own hops, like Edwort i think grows his own cascade.

I got a little impatient and bottled before all of the yeast dropped out. I don't know if it will ruin my batch or not. Either way I won't make that mistake again and give the beer the full time to ferment.

the_wrath_of_Khan said:
I got a little impatient and bottled before all of the yeast dropped out. I don't know if it will ruin my batch or not. Either way I won't make that mistake again and give the beer the full time to ferment.

Im not sure if to much yeast will cause risk of bottle bombs, I know to much sugar will.

Something to keep in mind with growing your own hops is you won't be able to determine AA% but if you are brewing triple hopped ales this might not be much of an issue for ya.

GaryA said:
Im not sure if to much yeast will cause risk of bottle bombs, I know to much sugar will.

Something to keep in mind with growing your own hops is you won't be able to determine AA% but if you are brewing triple hopped ales this might not be much of an issue for ya.

I made sure I was at a safe finishing gravity before bottling, so I don't think I have to worry about explosions.

Just to let everyone know after an additional few weeks of aging my tripple hopped ale is the ****! It tastes great!

Since hops are grown from rhizomes, which can carry infections, you might have a problem importing them.

the_wrath_of_Khan said:
Just to let everyone know after an additional few weeks of aging my tripple hopped ale is the ****! It tastes great!

Congratulations! I'm glad your first batch turned out so well. I've found that I start planning my next batch about the time I put the airlock on the fermenter of the batch I just brewed. Addictive hobby.

Enjoy,
Chad

david_42 said:
Since hops are grown from rhizomes, which can carry infections, you might have a problem importing them.

I thought it was possible to get hops in a seed form. I will keep that in mind, but I have a trick up my sleeve. Do you have a recommended pace to buy rhizomes?

I just bottled my second brew, and American IPA. Tasted pretty good in the priming tank. I'll give it a week to carbonate and if I have more patience another two before I open it.

Back