First time brewer having trouble bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aobrewedthat

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first time brewing. I have a small one gallon kit. I am trying to bottle my beer but i am having trouble syphoning the beer from the carboy to a pot. The beer makes it to about the curved part of my racking tube but never makes it into the flexible tube. I do not have enough pressure to make it through although I did try adding extra sanitizer in the tube it still is not enoguh pressure? The tube it self is not that long.. about 16 inches.. any tips to get this beer into bottles? maybe i need a longer tube?

16" seems rather short to me, especially if you are using a racking cane. Does the end of the tube go below the level of the beer? It's not going to work if the end of the tube is not below the level of the beer.

If you are planning to do more small batches, get yourself one of the tiny autosiphons.

mini-auto-siphon.jpg

The end of the flexible tube. does not go below the end of the beer. shall I try without the racking cane?

Only if it means that the "out" end of the tube, as well as the level of the beer in your pot, falls below the level of the beer in the carboy.

In order for a siphon to work, it must discharge lower level than surface of the original reservoir.

Here's what I do. My auto siphon just broke so I had to make do with a regular racking cane. I get the carboy up on a platform and I get on the floor with the other end of the tube. Carefully, I put my sanitized hand around the tube and try to suck air through the tube, with putting my mouth only on my hand. Don't ever put your mouth on the tube itself. I have to inhale strong as to get the beer going, but after the beer passes the bottom of the carboy, I put the tube in the bottling bucket before it can touch my hand. I seem to have it down and it has worked until I can get another auto siphon. They are the best!

Here's what I do. My auto siphon just broke so I had to make do with a regular racking cane. I get the carboy up on a platform and I get on the floor with the other end of the tube. Carefully, I put my sanitized hand around the tube and try to suck air through the tube, with putting my mouth only on my hand. Don't ever put your mouth on the tube itself. I have to inhale strong as to get the beer going, but after the beer passes the bottom of the carboy, I put the tube in the bottling bucket before it can touch my hand. I seem to have it down and it has worked until I can get another auto siphon. They are the best!

I'd give this a practice try with water before working with the beer. :mug:

well i went to go get and auto siphon. and the brew store happens to be closed on tuesday (just my luck) so now i went and bought a longer tube to try without the racking cane..

Well, the autosiphon is a miracle device IMO. I highly suggest getting one.

In the meantime, you might try making a "T" at the bottom of the siphon hose. with sanitized hands, plug the bottom hose, and suck on the branch. Once the siphon starts, pinch off the branch and the beer will flow down through the long end. You'll need a "T" barbed adapter, which might be found at an auto parts store, and something to pinch the hose with.

I use this method on my hot wort since I found out that using an autosiphon in hot wort will melt it... So be sure not to do that...

Back