first time brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canonball

Reaction score
I did a can of coopers real ale for my first brew. i tried it and it was extremely bitter not just hoppy but sour, 1 week in the fermenter 1 week in the bottle. Is this a sign of a green brew and i should just let it mellow out in the bottle or is this how its supposed to taste or did i mess up?

well ive let it be in the bottle for about 8 months and it still isnt drinkable, think it will ever mellow out?

If it's not drinkable by now, I'm afraid it will never improve at this point.

Did you use sugar in the beer? I know sometimes the Coopers kits have a can of hopped extract and a couple of pounds of sugar. I made one once, because it was bought as a gift for me. I never found it drinkable, but my friend drank both cases because she liked it.

A high fermentation temperature, an older kit, and stressed yeast could also cause some bad flavors in the final product.

The kit came with 2 pounds of dextrse I reserved 3/4 cup for bottleing, oh well I have another one going that came from my brewing kit, coopers dark ale and got a batch of apfelwien

Back