First time bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to brewing and I have just bottled a total of 4 bottles (0.5L each) excess, the rest is going in the keg.
I've made the mistake of priming my bottles right after a 2 day cold crash in the fermenter and then putting it in the fridge (0 degree Celsius) for about a week.

Now my question is... will all the yeast die at this temperature? Can I just take the bottles out tonight and leave it in the fermentation chamber at 18C to carbonate or is it too late for that and I have to add more yeast for bottle carbonation?

BTW, the yeast strain is Safale-US05

Thanks!

Not a problem. Take them out tonight and leave them in a fermentation chamber.

Cold temps don't kill yeast, they just go dormant (go to sleep). As it warms up, they will be fine.

By the way, if you want it to carbinate faster, get it up to 20-21 degrees if you have control. The fermentation is done, it won't effect flavor. It will probably take 10-14 days at 21 degrees, maybe another week or 2 at 17.

Back