First time AG Brew...Broken hydro...90% efficieny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpeggiator

Reaction score
What's up HBT,

Just hoping someone could provide some input. It's my first AG brew, an IPA, everything went fine until my hydro fell off the table and shattered to bits. Before this happened I took a reading after I sparged but before I boiled. The hydro said 1.048 @ 115 degrees for 6.5 gal of wort. Beersmith adjusted for temp and said 1.058. it also said at 100% efficiency the gravity should be 1.064 at 6.5 gal. NOw, is my math correct? Does this mean I had 90% efficiency? I don't know if I should trust this, but I want to nail down my brewhouse efficiency since I'm so new to AG brewing.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but I pitched with yeast from a previous brew and I have a 1" krausen 3.5 hours after pitching. This baby's belching away!:ban:

Any help with figuring my efficiency would be appreciated. Cheers and happy brewing!

Need to know the grain bill to figure out the efficiency.

Glad your beer is turning out well so far!

grain bill was:

12 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. cara-pils
1 lb. 40-L
1 lb. victory
1/2 lb. aromatic

To figure out your efficiency into the kettle (i.e., mash/lauter/sparge efficiency): [Edited because I read the wrong numbers from your post. :)]

Find the potential sugar in each grain (I took these numbers from BeerSmith):
2-row = 1.036
Carapils = 1.033
Crystal 40 = 1.034
Victory = 1.034
Aromatic = 1.018

Multiply the potential gravity points per gallon by pounds for each grain, and add the results:
36 * 12 = 432
33 * 1 = 33
34 * 1 = 34
34 * 1 = 34
36 * .5 = 18
-------------
551 points (this is potential gravity points)...this is the max sugar that can possibly be extracted from your grains...although you'll never hit 100%

Divide that by your pre-boil volume in gallons:
551 / 6.5 = about 85

So at 100% efficiency, your 6.5 gallons pre-boil would have been about 1.085.

Your actual pre-boil gravity divided by that is:
58 / 85 = about .682

So...68% efficiency into the kettle. That's not too bad, but you can look into some things that will bring it up into the 70s at least.

ok, I understand the math now. I double checked the beersmith settings and realized I overlooked the efficiency setting at 75%, that's how it got the 1.064. That's my bad, though. Hmmm...now i'm thinking about what I could have done wrong. I had a friend help me, and it took about 4o min. to sparge. I noticed the temp of the grain bed on one end of the cooler dropped to 135 degrees, while the other end remained at 154, could this be the culprit?

Back