First Temp Control Too Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexibilly

Mexibilly
Reaction score
Put a 1.082 IPA, S05 yeast, in my first ever fermentation chamber, a fridge with a small heater and a stc 1000 measuring ambient far from the heater on the opposite side of the bucket.
6.5 gallon bucket, so can't watch the wort.
I set it to 15.5, assuming a vigorous initial fermentation and intending to keep it in the mid sixties.
It had been holding at 15.5 steady all night, but when I pushed down on the lid this morning its obviously produced CO2, but it wasn't bubbling at all.
I upped it to 17 around 11am.
Came home at 8:30 and the controller was reading 15.2 (59F).
I opened the door and the heater light was on, but I had to crank the adjuster knob up to get it to kick on.
I had it low, because the temp was swinging pretty wildly with it cranked up.
I just turned up the heater and set it to 18, but at this point I'm considering just bringing it in the house to 68F.
What will the effect of 24 hours of sloooow fermentation be?
Bring it in and give it a swirl?
This is the 3rd and hopefully awesomest version of this beer and I'd hate to screw it up...

image.jpg

Just a few thoughts...
Dude! That ferm chamber is HUGE!!! Seriously, I bet you could fit 4 buckets in that thing with no trouble at all. If you ditch the heater, build a shelf to level out the floor and place a cheap hair dryer in the door your could have 4 batches going at once plus heat and cool the whole thing ( ;

Since that chamber is so big it might account for some of your difficulties. I know my own fridge will cycle the heat on more when I only have one bucket in there versus 3 buckets. One bucket just won't generate enough heat to keep ahead of the heat loss through the chamber.

Shooting for mid 60's on the temp setting should show signs of fermentation in 24 hours or less. Don't forget it can take a while for it to start showing those signs. It will happen sooner if you build a starter, over pitch your yeast etc...

That style of bucket you are using... I have found they can leak which makes it really hard to tell if they are fermenting. Try opening it up and take a peak if you don't see any signs of fermentation after 24 hours. At that time we can think about stirring it up or re-pitching yeast.

The cool start to the fermentation will not cause any problems. I regularly pitch WY 1056 at 48° to 52°F, supposed to be the same as US-05, and then let the temperature of the fermenting beer free rise, but these low OG beers have not gone over 72° with an ambient temperature of 68°.

Your IPA, fermenting at an ambient temperature of 68°F, may exceed 72° which could produce some off flavors.

I haven't used my STC-1000 yet so can't comment to much on the settings. The large temperature swings may be due to the location of the temperature probe. Do you have the temperature probe taped to the fermentor and insulated so it does not pick up the ambient temperature inside the fermentation chamber?

Put a 1.082 IPA, S05 yeast, in my first ever fermentation chamber, a fridge with a small heater and a stc 1000 measuring ambient far from the heater....
I set it to 15.5,....
I upped it to 17 around 11am.
Came home at 8:30 and the controller was reading 15.2 (59F)....
I opened the door and the heater light was on, but I had to crank the adjuster knob up to get it to kick on. ...
I had it low, because the temp was swinging pretty wildly with it cranked up.
I just turned up the heater and set it to 18....
What will the effect of 24 hours of sloooow fermentation be?
Lots to suggest here! I work with a STC 1000+ (search on this).
1st- possibly ferment chamber is big- quick fix is some hard insulation to make a false top!
2nd- why are you measuring ambient air temp? Measure beer temp- if no thermo well then attach probe to bucket and insulate heavily. This is the temp you want- ambient is good for a 2nd probe but won't go there now.
3rd- don't go hair dryer-higher risk of fire/fail problems, I use a reptile cable.
4th- original set was 15.5 & you had temp swings. So heat on then cool? Seems like size of chamber is adequate to get temps up & down. Possible you didn't lock in the higher temp?
5th- not sure why you had to adjust heater knob, possibly it read it met temp? This is also why I don't like over powered heaters, mine is 25 watts and does fine! Plus it's made for humid environment, unlike yours, and if you wish you wrap or drape around bucket (just keep away from probe!).

Best of luck, hope this helps.
Cheers

2nd- why are you measuring ambient air temp? Measure beer temp- if no thermo well then attach probe to bucket and insulate heavily. This is the temp you want- ambient is good for a 2nd probe but won't go there now.

This! I highly recommend a thermowell. Just drill another hole in your lid, add a rubber grommet and insert the thermowell.. this will cost you $15 at most. Also, I have had a lot of success with one of those seed heat mats wrapped around my fermenter with a budgie cord. Wire the mat and the fridge to your STC-1000 and you are good to go. This is the mat I bought: http://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Durable-Waterproof-Seedling-Hydroponic/dp/B00P7U259C/ref=pd_sim_86_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51yd52Vz6DL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=05PGXMWQB0390Q9T9E9K

For about $25-30, you can have perfect temp control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few thoughts...
That style of bucket you are using... I have found they can leak which makes it really hard to tell if they are fermenting. Try opening it up and take a peak if you don't see any signs of fermentation after 24 hours. At that time we can think about stirring it up or re-pitching yeast.

It is big. I could add a few fermentors of water. It was a last minute thing.
I brought it in last nite and it was bubbling away steadily before the sun came up.
I just wanted the benefit of a low 60s initial fermentation.
Next time might let fermentation get going for 24 hours before putting it in the fridge

I think you are fine. Keep in mind that when you use a blowoff tube, the amount of built up pressure in the fermentor to let anything out has to be several times that to just get a regular S or 3-piece airlock to bubble

also, the bucket may be closer to the 60-62. US-05 is known to be able to do its thing at those temps. You may get a bit of peachy flavors, but I would leave it in there rather than have it climb past your room temp of 68F

IMO, you are better of starting it cold and then letting it rise than the opposite. The first few days of fermentation lock in most of the yeast flavor profile and it wouldnt be good to have it climbing out of the recommended range for the first day or so. Especially because it will probably take another 12 hrs after placing it into the ferm chamber for it to cool to the set temp

Why measure ambient when you can control beer temp precisely?

Set it and forget it.

Tape the probe to the FV and insulate it. Set the STC1000 to the desired beer temperature.

The temperature will not deviate from your set point +/- 0.3C or whatever you set the hysteresis on your STC 1000 to.

I set mine to maximum delay (10 mins) and minimum hysteresis (0.3C)

No holes, no drilling, just some tape, something to insulate and a means of holding it all in place.

Like so

Cold Crashed Beer.jpg

I haven't used my STC-1000 yet so can't comment to much on the settings. The large temperature swings may be due to the location of the temperature probe. Do you have the temperature probe taped to the fermentor and insulated so it does not pick up the ambient temperature inside the fermentation chamber?
The swings were during testing, and proved to be the result of having the heater cranked to max. I turned it to a lower setting and it was steady.
Clearly I need to find the sweet spot, and likely add more mass like JLeuck suggested.
I've made lots of great beers at 68 ambient, I was just hoping to improve the hop flavors that much further

Why measure ambient when you can control beer temp precisely?

Set it and forget it.

Tape the probe to the FV and insulate it. Set the STC1000 to the desired beer temperature.

The temperature will not deviate from your set point +/- 0.3C or whatever you set the hysteresis on your STC 1000 to.

I set mine to maximum delay (10 mins) and minimum hysteresis (0.3C)

No holes, no drilling, just some tape, something to insulate and a means of holding it all in place.

Like so

I do like that setup. What sort of heat source do you use?

I do like that setup. What sort of heat source do you use?

I can't remember when last I used it but I have this little heater. I don't like it and wouldn't recommend it. I think the fermwraps are a much better and safer idea. Heat the FV directly rater than the ambient air. More efficient too.

My fermentation chamber is inside though. Ambients are all I need for a heat source when I want things to rise I just set the temperature to what I want and let it go. I usually do this toward the tail end of lager fermentations.

attachment.php

Yup, low wattage rules! :) Search for reptile cable or a seedling heat mat. Both will be sufficient, limit overshoot and heat / cooling bounce, and are safe!

Back