First taste of my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeder

Reaction score
Well I am pleased. This is actually my second batch. I ran 2 different batches within a day. One was bottled and left to condition and the other kegged after 2 weeks in primary. I pulled my first pint just a few ago and I gotta say not bad. I do taste a since of "greenness" to it though. I will definitely be racking to a secondary for my kegged brews from now on. With these two being my first batches I was just do damn impatient to wait. One one hand I wanted to rush it through to get a taste of an unconditioned beer, so when I am patient with my current batches then I will have more of a platform to base the outcomes on.....if that makes any sense.. Don't get me wrong the beer is GREAT, but it could be better. That is what makes this so dang addictive. Anyways just wanted to share the news with someone who might be appreciative, besides my Bud Light slamming neighbors who have no idea what a Porter is.
Enjoy the Weekend
Bottoms Up
-Rick-

Secondary won't do anything for the green flavor, unless it means you'll leave it alone longer. If you just leave it in the keg for a few more weeks, that's the kind of thing that will condition out. It just needs time.

Edit: Congrats on your first beer!

Well, secondary WOULD do something about the green flavor, because its aging and dropping yeast out of suspension.

It also means less yeast going into the keg, so a cleaner pour initially and much less chance that any moving of the keg will cloud it up to all hell again.

That was the thought, letting it sit longer in a secondary. I have only pulled a few pints from it which were fully carbed. I think I am going to leave it alone for another week or so sitting on 12psi then see how she tastes. Would that cause any problems with conditioning?? ie; in the fride on 12 psi? I wouldn't think so but I have been wrong before.
Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts.
-Rick-

That was the thought, letting it sit longer in a secondary. I have only pulled a few pints from it which were fully carbed. I think I am going to leave it alone for another week or so sitting on 12psi then see how she tastes. Would that cause any problems with conditioning?? ie; in the fride on 12 psi? I wouldn't think so but I have been wrong before.
Thanks guys for your comments and thoughts.
-Rick-

I may be wrong but I don't think conditioning carbed is any different from conditioning in secondary. WHen you bottle condition its carbed. If 12 PSI is the proper setting to get the volume of CO2 you want then go for it. I've found that many of my kegged beers improve over time while on tap and I secondary everything. I also keep my regulator on 12 PSI for pretty much everything regardless of style.

Regards,
Al

Back