First taste of first brew! Also newb question on trub formation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvtoms

Reaction score
Well, this weekend I cracked open my first beer. I started with a simple Coopers kit as many others have done. I used reverse osmosis filtered water for the brew, except the first gallon which was boiled tap water. I fermented for 8 days at 72 degrees, same temp as when I pitched. I did nothing beyond the coopers instructions, which I realize some might find lacking.

The brew has been bottled a week or so now and it tastes good! It's very dry which is not surprising since it was just 1kg of dextrose! Others report that this coopers lager with the included ale yeast and done as per instructions produces a cidery kind of mess. I am glad it didnt come out that way for me. :tank:
I am sure it'll age and mature nicely based on reading here.

It is a light, dry beer. It seems like a typical American beer to me, but I'm not much of an aficionado or whatever.

Now to my newbie question on trub. How fast is it normal to see trub in the fermenter? I started a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit, with brew enhancer 1 (dextrose, maltodextrin) yesterday about 24 hours ago. I can go into detail if needed on the standard coopers mixing process.. I see trub already in the fermenter and it's only been a day. The airlock is bubbling once every 9 seconds or so. The first brew had a smaller trub layer even when complete!

I felt I mixed everything well beyond what should be needed, just because I'm like that with my stirring.. So... whats up with that? How fast can trub form anyway? Is it the maltodextrin just flopping there, chillin' on the bottom? Should I do anything? Thanks for all replies.

trub starts forming as soon as fermentation starts. so yeah, you can see it in 24 hours.

Trub, in this case, is just yeast that isn't active yet. You might see the layer get thinner as it gets active, then thicker as the fermentation finishes. Not to worry.

Sounds like I should just relax and have something.. cant quite put my finger....... and have a home brew! Cool, I can do that. Thanks.

I brewed the popular graff on the forums, and within 20 minutes lots of stuff settled out and actually had a bit of trub. Now, theres almost nothing as everything lifted back into mixture with the yeasties goin crazy.

I should have a pretty big amount of trub once everything settles out, considering how cloudy the beer is so far.

Also postin pic of my stout before krausen fell, pretty big trub

34556_684593257589_12815781_38205615_2074357_n.jpg

26677_679199232259_12815781_38005814_6429865_n.jpg

I brewed that same kit about 4 weeks ago and it had stopped bubbling after 6days so i put into the second vessel for bottling but forgot to check with the hydro reading before transfering it, so checked it when it was transfered and it was only 1016 FG
so i left it in the second vessel for 2 weeks and the reading did not change so i bottled it and used coopers carbonation drops and over 2 weeks bottled the bottles have not carbonated yet.
So you just want to watch out for this.
Hopfully my bottles carbonate right wit time. Can you let me no how you get on with the brew i would just like to see how long it will take yours in case there is something gone wrong with mine.
Cheers

Use priming sugars if you can -- I havent really read too many positive things about the carb drops

Ok, will do.
I dont know that I have the patience for waiting and waiting.. I'm just on foot and it's heavy to carry beer a mile from the store every week.

My krausen formation was strong and hyperactive, probably because I cant get the basement cooled down in the warm temps we have right now. It's slowing already quite a bit... It's right around 24c.

I've seen others say here that the larger bottles like 22 ounce, or the coopers 750ml take longer to carbonate because of the volume of liquid versus the amount of headspace. Saw a post suggesting possible gently turning the bottles end over end once and waiting more.

I will take a hydro reading at the 1 week point and post it here.

Well, exhaust some patience on your first batch or two so you can build your pipeline, its worth it.

The safest bet is 1-2-3 -- or some combination thereof. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks in bottles. I just do 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottling, and start drinking sparingly after 1 week just to try them out

I need to buy a secondary or two so I can get some stock built up! All I have is the basic coopers kit, no secondary.

I have a case of 22 ounce bottles on the way, and I think I may pick up some grolsch bottles as well when I get more secondary and bottling gear.

Eh, secondary is good but not necessarily worth it, depending on your goals or budget.

I cold crash my primary. Only benefit of secondary, is you can primary another beer at the same time. This is good and bad, cuz you'll need more bottles sooner :p

If you have an ikea, you can pick up 32oz grolsch bottles (clear) for $2.99 a pop there.

I bought a case of the blue nittany ale bottles from midwest supplies for $6.99 + s/h -- I may buy another box or two. The blue is cool, and I've read you can get the nittany paw and logo off (though I havent tried)

I need to buy a secondary or two so I can get some stock built up! All I have is the basic coopers kit, no secondary.

I have a case of 22 ounce bottles on the way, and I think I may pick up some grolsch bottles as well when I get more secondary and bottling gear.

Just get a couple more primary buckets. Doing 3 weeks in primary and then 3 in bottles is much better than racking to secondary after a week.

If you are going to use a secondary, I'd wait until FG is stable for 3 consecutive days and then wait another week before racking to secondary.

My first brew came out great with no complications primary for 7days then bottled with the drops and after 2 weeks very drinkable great carbonation it was coopers mexician creavas kit.
I have a woodfordes great eastern on now so i might buy a king keg top tap and try kegging it see how it goes.
I was also going to try and dry hop the mexician creaves kit it was missing a little something.

I brewed that same kit about 4 weeks ago and it had stopped bubbling after 6days so i put into the second vessel for bottling but forgot to check with the hydro reading before transfering it, so checked it when it was transfered and it was only 1016 FG
so i left it in the second vessel for 2 weeks and the reading did not change so i bottled it and used coopers carbonation drops and over 2 weeks bottled the bottles have not carbonated yet.
So you just want to watch out for this.
Hopfully my bottles carbonate right wit time. Can you let me no how you get on with the brew i would just like to see how long it will take yours in case there is something gone wrong with mine.
Cheers

Ok well, it's been a week now so I took that hydrometer reading. It's at 1016 right now. There is still obvious pressure up on the airlock, but it stopped bubbling after 4 days or so. It's going to sit there and finish for another week before I bottle it, and I think on this one I will use a traditional corn sugar priming and bottling bucket.

The sample tasted good. I could taste a hint of the typical (as I've read) coopers dry ale yeast fruitiness, but only a hint. Less so than the first coopers extract brew I made.

I have one more coopers extract can (real ale) and on that one I am going to try a sam adams clone I found online. I'll spring for a nice liquid yeast and some specialty grains for that one I think. :tank:

I have opened another bottle last night and its amazing the difference in the beer with in a week it has head and good body and it taste lovely.
Im going to leave it for another couple weeks and see how it tastes them.
I didnt think it would come right but it has so if you have any bother with it leave it and let it sit its hard done but its worth it they say this hobby needs patience and if you can wait do so. well worth it.

Back