First Successful Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsacks

Reaction score
Today I completed my first successful cider. This was not my first cider, but the first one that was drinkable.

About every four years I get the itch to try some home brewing. My first go round was in college and it ended up producing the worst bear I have ever tasted.

Second go round I accidentally brewed a room temperature lager that ended up tasting like garbage as well as Edwort's apfelwine that turned into some kind of vinegar.

This time I kept it real simple. I bought some local cider (5 Gallons) put it in a food grade bucket from home depot, pitched some nottingham yeast, added some nutrient, and let it sit for a week.

I then racked it to secondary for a week to let the yeast fall out, and tonight I bottled it.

It was drinkable. I was surprised. It tasted like apple cider with all the sugar removed. It wasn't dry, but it wasn't sweet. I don't know how to describe it - it is it's own thing.

To make it more palatable I back sweetened the batch with 1 cup of brown sugar and 6 cans of apple juice concentrate. I started with a 400ml sample and added a tsp at a time until I got it to the taste I like. I then extrapolated that out to the measurements that I would need for 4 1/2 gallons.

At this point I have had quite a bit, it tastes good to me. It isn't harsh at all. it has a good taste and goes down smooth.

I used potassium metabisulfite and campden tablets to stop the yeast and bottled to wine bottles and a few grolsch. I'm going to keep an eye on the bottles and make sure there is no carbing - I have a beer bottle that I corked so I can keep an eye on them more easily.

If this stuff improves any with time it is going to turn out something nice.

Well, this batch ended up as a total loss.

The sorbate and bisulfite did not kill off the yeast. I had bottled this in wine bottles with corks and most of them popped out. The ones that didn't or were in champagne bottles with caps were over-carbed to the point of being dangerous.

I had to dump the batch. I did manage to save a few bottles, and man were they good. They were carbed up like a champagne - the cork would fly out and a gush of fizz would flow out, but man it was right. I was going to do my ciders as still, but this made me change my mind.

I'm going to carb my next batch, and will do a heat pasteurization once they are carbed up enough.

I think by now you may have realized that potassium metibisulfate and campden tables are the same. Unless you meant potassium sorbate. Regardless the sorbate stops "new" fermentation, the metabisulfate is for oxidation. So unless you used sorbate then that explains the renewed fermentation in the bottles after you added the sugars.

bobsacks, If you will refrigerate your bottles for a solid week, the amount of foaming might be low enough to bleed off the extra pressure. I had a batch of gushers a while back; one bottle would overfill a 40 oz cup with foam. After a week in the fridge, the gushing was almost gone. I didn't believe it would work, but it did.

Latest posts

Back