First stout, worried about over-pitching!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I brewed my first stout yesterday and ended-up with an OG of 1.080. I re-hydrated two 11.5g packages of SF-04, aerated with oxygen tank for 60 seconds, and pitched. I had vigorous airlock bubbles in 3 hours. Now I'm worried if I over pitched, and if so, what impact that could have?

I don't think you overpitched. You can use a pitch calculator to see what it recommends - Beersmith has one, there's a website Mr. Malty that has one also. But a 1.080 beer is big and two packs of dry yeast is plenty, but not too much, in a general sense.

Edit: Just used the Beersmith calculator and it says that, assuming the yeast was two months old, that you needed 1.5 packs (11.5 g size), so you're good.

I don't think you overpitched. You can use a pitch calculator to see what it recommends - Beersmith has one, there's a website Mr. Malty that has one also. But a 1.080 beer is big and two packs of dry yeast is plenty, but not too much, in a general sense.

Edit: Just used the Beersmith calculator and it says that, assuming the yeast was two months old, that you needed 1.5 packs (11.5 g size), so you're good.
Thanks!

I would also have pitched two packets of S-04 for a 1.080 beer. I've been using S-04 for 2.5 to 3 gallon batches lately and I have pitched the entire pack. It takes off quickly and works great.

Agreed. I can't think of any instance where I read or heard of someone pitching too much yeast and having problems. I have only read about theiretical issues with over-pitching. The only negative I can think of is an overly violent blow-off. Make sure you use a blow-off tube rather than an airlock and all will be fine.

Agreed. I can't think of any instance where I read or heard of someone pitching too much yeast and having problems. I have only read about theiretical issues with over-pitching. The only negative I can think of is an overly violent blow-off. Make sure you use a blow-off tube rather than an airlock and all will be fine.
I used an airlock on a plastic bucket and yes, I am very concerned about that. I have it in a mini-fridge in the basement and every time I go down there I'm pleased that the fridge door isn't blown open! I haven't gone to the much preferred blow-off tube yet because I didn't want to have to deal with drilling the plastic bucket lid, etc. and I am going to upgrade soon to a SS fermenter. So far, the bubbler is hanging in there but the bucket lid is really bulging. In the event a blow-out happens, besides a heck of a mess, can you save whatever beer is left over?

I used an airlock on a plastic bucket and yes, I am very concerned about that. I have it in a mini-fridge in the basement and every time I go down there I'm pleased that the fridge door isn't blown open! I haven't gone to the much preferred blow-off tube yet because I didn't want to have to deal with drilling the plastic bucket lid, etc. and I am going to upgrade soon to a SS fermenter. So far, the bubbler is hanging in there but the bucket lid is really bulging. In the event a blow-out happens, besides a heck of a mess, can you save whatever beer is left over?

Yes, the beer will be fine, its just a mess.

Another way to do a blowoff tube with a bucket is to use one of the airlocks that has the bell design (not the S design, the other one), remove the lid, remove the bell and put a piece of tubing directly on the stem sticking up. Then into a container partially filled with star san, and you're good to go.

found this on the internet, it is what I'm trying to describe, except the airlock would be stuck straight into your bucket lid, like normal.

1611927157685.png

found this on the internet, it is what I'm trying to describe, except the airlock would be stuck straight into your bucket lid, like normal.

View attachment 716294
Thanks! I have one of those types also and will do that. Do you happen to know what size tubing I will need? Also, is a clamp necessary where it connects to the stem?

Back