First Stout Under My Belt - Recommendations for Next One?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oljimmy

Reaction score
Hi all, just cracked a bottle from my first "standard" Dry Irish Stout and it's phenomenal. I want to build on this recipe (Maris Otter 67.5%, Flaked Barley 25% and finely crushed Black Roasted Barley 12.5%) and try something a little new: I love Murphy's, Beamish, and the Irish stuff, but I also like oatmeals and coffee-stouts just fine. Anyone have variations on the basic stout that they'd recommend? What are some other ingredients that I can sub in to enhance a stout? (under 1.070 OG please)

Cold brew 4oz course ground dark roast coffee overnight in about 20oz of water then add it into the bottling bucket or keg. You might want to add 1/2 pound of lactose to the recipe as this gives a little bit of sweetness to complement the coffee.

India Porter? Double / triple stouts? London stout? It's probably one of the most flexible categories of beer.

A London stout with an OG of 1065-1070 with Brown Malt 10-15%, Amber malt 0-10%, Patent Malt ~3%, ~60IBU of mainly bittering hops and a small dry hop. Nice, simple, complex beer.

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna line Yooper's stout and a London Stout up next. Cheers!

Back