First Sour, smells like straight up apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibberoni

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I did my first sour mash about a month ago. It was done with the leftovers from a pale ale. I accidentally left the water I used for chilling the beer (still really hot water btw) in the mash tun, with the grains.

Long story short, I boiled down about 10 gallons of sweet wort into 3 gallons (literally took 4 hours in multiple pots), added some DME, some hops, stuck it in a fermenter and added some harvested US05 from another brew.

I opened her up this last Friday and it smelled exactly like sour green apples. Being my first sour, I was not sure if this is how it is supposed to smell.

For ****s and giggles, I added some brett to it yesterday as well.

Do I have the potential for a decent sour, or am I at least on the right track?

Applet taste and aroma typically come from fermenting too hot or from an acetobacter infection.

That makes perfect sense Weezy. I left this mash in the coolest part of my apartment while I was on vacation. Since I was gone, I had the air turned to 90*. It was probably like that for most of the day, as it was over 100* almost every day outside.

Is this something that can be cleaned up by the brett, or is it time to toss this out?

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I did my first sour mash about a month ago. It was done with the leftovers from a pale ale. I accidentally left the water I used for chilling the beer (still really hot water btw) in the mash tun, with the grains.

Long story short, I boiled down about 10 gallons of sweet wort into 3 gallons (literally took 4 hours in multiple pots), added some DME, some hops, stuck it in a fermenter and added some harvested US05 from another brew.

I opened her up this last Friday and it smelled exactly like sour green apples. Being my first sour, I was not sure if this is how it is supposed to smell.

For ****s and giggles, I added some brett to it yesterday as well.

Do I have the potential for a decent sour, or am I at least on the right track?
Doesn't sound like the path I would take to make an enjoyable sour.
Just saying;)

It had a pretty good head of bubble on it, but not crusted over by any means...since I took the time to open the fermentor, I hit it with a quick shot of o2

Who knows....

Yeah, I'd blame the temp. Try putting together a water bath for next time.

Do I need to worry about my ferm chamber getting infected, if I decided to put brett in it next time and sticking it in there? I use the same chamber for all of my other brews. I really dont want to have the rest of my brews tainted.

Back