First Sour, smells like straight up apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gibberoni

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I did my first sour mash about a month ago. It was done with the leftovers from a pale ale. I accidentally left the water I used for chilling the beer (still really hot water btw) in the mash tun, with the grains.

Long story short, I boiled down about 10 gallons of sweet wort into 3 gallons (literally took 4 hours in multiple pots), added some DME, some hops, stuck it in a fermenter and added some harvested US05 from another brew.

I opened her up this last Friday and it smelled exactly like sour green apples. Being my first sour, I was not sure if this is how it is supposed to smell.

For ****s and giggles, I added some brett to it yesterday as well.

Do I have the potential for a decent sour, or am I at least on the right track?

Weezy

Reaction score
Applet taste and aroma typically come from fermenting too hot or from an acetobacter infection.

OP
Gibberoni

Gibberoni

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense Weezy. I left this mash in the coolest part of my apartment while I was on vacation. Since I was gone, I had the air turned to 90*. It was probably like that for most of the day, as it was over 100* almost every day outside.

Is this something that can be cleaned up by the brett, or is it time to toss this out?

ChefRex

I once had a thought,
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I did my first sour mash about a month ago. It was done with the leftovers from a pale ale. I accidentally left the water I used for chilling the beer (still really hot water btw) in the mash tun, with the grains.

Long story short, I boiled down about 10 gallons of sweet wort into 3 gallons (literally took 4 hours in multiple pots), added some DME, some hops, stuck it in a fermenter and added some harvested US05 from another brew.

I opened her up this last Friday and it smelled exactly like sour green apples. Being my first sour, I was not sure if this is how it is supposed to smell.

For ****s and giggles, I added some brett to it yesterday as well.

Do I have the potential for a decent sour, or am I at least on the right track?
Doesn't sound like the path I would take to make an enjoyable sour.
Just saying;)

Vesteroid

Reaction score
It had a pretty good head of bubble on it, but not crusted over by any means...since I took the time to open the fermentor, I hit it with a quick shot of o2

Who knows....

Weezy

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd blame the temp. Try putting together a water bath for next time.

OP
Gibberoni

Gibberoni

Reaction score
Do I need to worry about my ferm chamber getting infected, if I decided to put brett in it next time and sticking it in there? I use the same chamber for all of my other brews. I really dont want to have the rest of my brews tainted.