First Sour Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casesensative

Reaction score
Doing my first sour mash, and I have a quick question.

My plan was to mash the grains as per normal, sparge, heat to 180 to stop enzymatic activity, siphon back into mash tun, let cool to 120, pitch a few handfuls of grain, cover the mash with saran, and let sour for 15 hours. Then boil and continue on as normal.

My question is should I be waiting until after sour mashing to sparge or does it not really matter? It seems like it wouldn't really matter, but a lot of the reading ive done on it says they sparge after the sour mashing.

Thanks!

I decided to wait until after sour mashing to sparge. So i soured the entire mash last night.

I doughed in thick, did my regular mash, then let it cool to about 130-135. Then I chucked in about 5 oz of uncrushed 2 row. sealed top with saran wrap and c02, and left to sit in a sleeping bag.

Checking in on the sour mash now 10 hours later and does not smell weird at all. Nothing noticeable on top of the mash. Had a small taste and did not notice anything funky.

Looks like it never took off? Does it normally take longer than this? I read that doing a FULL sour mash you shouldnt let it go more than 18-24 hours unless your prepared for extreme sourness, yet this isnt sour at all at 10?

I have never done a sour mash myself. However, based off what I have read and what I know about lactobacillus it can take hours, or even days depending on your method. It seems you've done everything right except the inoculating temperature. Lacto doesn't like 120+ temps, I would suggest next time you bring it down to 115ish and then inoculate with your grain, or better yet inoculate with pure lacto from white labs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Besides the temperature you pitched the grain at you also keep the sour mash warm, 90-100 is the sweet spot for me. Sounds like you have the right idea, just need to tweak the process a little bit. My sour mashes have been slow at first, then turn funky and sour rapidly from 18-24 hours on. 36-48 hours and most will want to blend the batch to temper the sourness.

I plan on doing a similar procedure this summer for a Berliner Weisse. I plan of just mashing/sparge as usual and fill up my kettle with the pre boil volume and then pitch the grains ( in a bag so I can pull them back out). I plan on letting it ride for 24 hours and then checking pH with a meter. Boil when I get it where I want for 15 min or so and then cool and pitch.

Im interested to see how your process turned out though...

Back