First SMaSH, what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So last night I did a 3 gallon batch using the following:

3kg 2-row
1oz Cascade @ 60 min
.5oz Cascade @15 min
WLP001(1 tube, no starter)

Mashed @152F for 60 min

OG: 1.068
FG: TBD

Mostly I did it to practice hitting mash temp/volume (doing BIAB) but it would be nice to have something drinkable out of it. Can someone give me a bit of an idea what to expect as my end result?

cheers

A blonde wearing grapefruit flavored lipstick and grapefruit scented perfume who bites.

It will be a blonde ale, the Cascade hops will have a grapefruit flavor and aroma and with the OG of 1.068 there will be some alcohol bite to it. If you ferment it warmer than you should it will have a hot alcohol bite and will kick you while you are down.

Can someone explain the purpose of a SmaSh recipe? I know it's Single Malt, Single Hop but it doesn't take much more effort to make a standard recipe. Is it just to produce the lowest cost beer per ABV possible?

Can someone explain the purpose of a SmaSh recipe? I know it's Single Malt, Single Hop but it doesn't take much more effort to make a standard recipe. Is it just to produce the lowest cost beer per ABV possible?

it is a way to learn about a base malt with a single hop

you get to see what a malt say like Vienna tastes like in a beer say with a hop like Saaz

I have made a lot of SMaSHs in the last few months and I am really getting a feel for the different malts and what they bring to a brew with different hops

it takes the same amount of effort to brew a good beer no matter the recipe

handle your yeast poorly and it's temperatures during fermentation, a great recipe can go to crap fast

have bad mash temperatures, poor wort handling, bad sanitation any recipe will go bad

all the best

S_M

Most people do it because it gives you a good sense of what the individual components bring to a recipe. Make several SMaSHes with the same malt and yeast and vary the hops to taste the effect of different hops. Do the same with base malts, then yeasts if you want.

I've done a couple and the actual beers themselves can be really good too. Sometimes simple is better.

EDIT: Ah, beat me by a minute.

I've done a couple and the actual beers themselves can be really good too. Sometimes simple is better.

EDIT: Ah, beat me by a minute.

I have brewed the same Vienna SMaSH a couple of times now and really like it a lot

did a pale ale malt brew with Mt. Hood hops that drinks well and is clear as glass

all the best

S_M

VadimTheConqueror said:
So last night I did a 3 gallon batch using the following: 3kg 2-row 1oz Cascade @ 60 min .5oz Cascade @15 min WLP001(1 tube, no starter) Mashed @152F for 60 min OG: 1.068 FG: TBD Mostly I did it to practice hitting mash temp/volume (doing BIAB) but it would be nice to have something drinkable out of it. Can someone give me a bit of an idea what to expect as my end result? cheers

I brewed this almost exactly when I was doing a test run on my first BIAB batch. I used slightly less bittering hops, and I misjudged my water volume and didn't want to boil it off for an extra hour, so I ended up with an extra gallon and lower gravity than intended. It wasn't bad though. Kind of bland compared to what I normally drink. My non-beer-drinking friends liked it a lot though. Basically it was really light yellow, slightly grainy, with just a hint of citrusy hop in there. Not too exciting but not bad. It was drinkable and refreshing.

A blonde wearing grapefruit flavored lipstick and grapefruit scented perfume who bites.

I love the description!

Thanks for the replies guys, here's hoping for the best!

As mentioned, it's mostly to get a feel for the different malts and hops. In my case it was also to fine tune some of the steps, which could have just as easily been with a standard recipe. Interesting to note that this batch cost about a buck more than the APA and ESB recipes that were my first and second AG batches.

There is something to be said for simplicity. Generally, the best recipes I've tried have fewer ingredients then the others.

I just did a SMaSH with 2 row and Saaz. Came out as a very refreshing light beer. I will need to do it again this summer for those hot days.

I just did a SMaSH with 2 row and Saaz. Came out as a very refreshing light beer. I will need to do it again this summer for those hot days.

I did a Vienna with Saaz that was outstanding the Vienna has a warm toasty flavor

also did a German Pale Ale malt with Saaz that was very good also, as you say so refreshing

will do it again for those hot summer days

all the best

S_M

Back