First shot at lager, underpitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
I tried my first hand at a simple pils using german lager yeast. I believe I underpitched simply because I decanted the starter without really letting it settle out long enough, either way...

I raised the temp after 3 weeks at 50* to 62 for a d-rest and it dropped another few points to 1.013 where it sits now. My target FG was 1.008, do I just call it done and begin lagering or should I try and get it down? I figured id have to pitch some Nottingham which would probably mess with the flavor, and it's not terribly high as it sits now. The mash was 147*. Being unfamiliar with lagers I'm not sure if 1.013 is too high still

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What was the recipe and yeast strain (number and company) you used? How did you come up with the 1.008 FG number? Are you positive your thermometer you used for your mash is correct?

Not having done a lager, I am certainly not an expert. But, all of my friends who do them let them go longer than three weeks. And the advise I got was "don't be in a hurry when making a lager". I would just leave it a while (week or two)longer.

Not having done a lager, I am certainly not an expert. But, all of my friends who do them let them go longer than three weeks. And the advise I got was "don't be in a hurry when making a lager". I would just leave it a while (week or two)longer.

My primary fermentation is about 10 days for a 1.048 beer. Lagering period is usually 4 weeks or so, longer for higher gravity beers. It really all depends on how you ferment, but primary fermentation doesn't need to be drawn out for weeks and weeks.

Mash is definitely correct, I have a full kal clone and calibrate them every brew.

It was wlp830 (white labs german lager)

I guess 1.008 was just theoretical, it's the german pils from brewing classic styles. I calculate apparent attenuation at about 72 right now. SG was 1.048. I've read 830 should hit about 80%

I just plugged everything in to Beersmith with my equipment profile, using 5.5 gallons at 65% efficiency. To get a gravity of 1.013, it looks like the attenuation would have to be around 68%.

Next question would be are you sure your hydrometer is right? 72% attenuation isn't too far off. Beersmith list WLP830 at 74-79% attenuation.

Preboil was about 13 gallons, 11 into fermenters. Efficiency was 93%. I may have just misread expected attenuation. Either way, I think Ill stand a better chance of having a better beer by not touching it rather than adding more yeast. Thoughts?

You gain nothing by adding more yeast to a 1.013 beer that's been fermenting 3+ weeks. It's not stalled, it's done. Adding more yeast will only serve to make it more yeasty.

Please be aware that proper pitch rate for lagers is TWICE what it is for ales. My lagers (plenty of yeast and O2) pitched at 45*F and fermented 48-50*F are usually ready for a d-rest (75-80% of the way from OG to expected FG) at a week or so.

Back