First shot at IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon9717

Reaction score
I'm not an IPA fan but figured I'd give it a try.
14lb 2 row
8oz Dextrine
8oz c60
4oz c80

1oz challenger 60min
1oz challenger 30min
1oz cascade 10min
1oz challenger 10min

Mash 90 at 148
90 min boil.

Imperial Independence yeast.
Ferment at 64*

OG 1.074
IBU 55

How does this look for a simple IPA?
Thanks for the critique.

Personally I don't know that I would use Challenger in an IPA like that. Are you a big fan of the hop? I also think at that high of an OG you may want to bump the IBUs up just a little. Just my $0.02.

I'm not an IPA fan but figured I'd give it a try.
14lb 2 row
8oz Dextrine
8oz c60
4oz c80

1oz challenger 60min
1oz challenger 30min
1oz cascade 10min
1oz challenger 10min

Mash 90 at 148
90 min boil.

Imperial Independence yeast.
Ferment at 64*

OG 1.074
IBU 55

How does this look for a simple IPA?
Thanks for the critique.

The grain bill looks okay but what do you mean by dextrine? Carapils or dextrose?

Also, no dry hops? The classic IPA recipes don't have dry hops...is that what you're going for?

Im guessing "dextrine" = carapils / dextrin malt

You could add some sugar to dry it out, unless you want more of a maltier traditional IPA. Same goes for the hop schedule. Itll have the IBUs of an IPA, but not the nice pungent hop character

with an OG that high your almost in DIPA range and with only 4 oz of hops I think your way off. YOu need to double the hops at minimum triple would what I would do. Definitely would not use challenger either. Look in the recipe section to get a better idea.

Thanks for the tips guys like I mentioned not really a IPA fan just trying something new. Appreciate the input and yes I meant Dextrine/carapils.

Back