First Self-made recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramatton

Reaction score
Me and my brewing buddy want to brew a blonde ale for the guys at work(who are BMC only drinkers). So I came up with what I thought was a basic easy drinking Blonde Ale. Any critiques or ideas on what the flavor would be like would be a great help.

Type: Extract

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.22 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Amount
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)
2 Pkgs Nottingham

Was thinking to leave it in the primary for about 2.5 weeks and then bottle since I'm not really worried about the clarity.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Looks pretty good to me. Whenever making beers for BMC guys, it's helpful to use saaz, as that's what they are used to (even if they don't know it). If you're going to introduce them to american hops, I would bump the cascade additions up to a .5 oz each - I still don't think it would be overpowering for them - and prob more enjoyable for you.

Looks good, the only thing I would change would be to only use 1 pack of yeast. There is no need for 2 packs of Notty. That is a pretty small beer, no sense in wasting yeast.

Looks good, the only thing I would change would be to only use 1 pack of yeast. There is no need for 2 packs of Notty. That is a pretty small beer, no sense in wasting yeast.

My LHBS guy just turned me onto the new Basic Brewing / BYO article about yeats pitching... It's a good read.

I second the one pack thing...

Thanks for the replies.

I see your point about the cascade, I'll probably replace them with Saaz. And after their reaction to our not so bitter pale ale I'll tone down the Centennial too.

I figured 2 packs just to be safe, I've never used Nottingham before, but from your comments I see one will be enough.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back