First RIS brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup_nazi

Reaction score
Going to make my first RIS this weekend, and want to get some feedback of what you guys think I can do to make it better, here is the Recipe.

20# pale 2 row
1# chocolate malt
.5# black patent
2# crystal 120l

1oz warrior hops FWH
2oz warrior hops 60min
2oz warrior hops 20min

Mash @ 148 for 90min.
batch sparge

WL099 high gravity yeast
2.0L starter.

Any ideas on how long I should aerate the wort, I don't have a air pump, I was just going to stir the hell out of it.

If I can't get warrior hops at the store do you think chinook will due?

can't help you much with the grain bill, but i see Nugget & Columbus are both sub's for Warrior. if it were me, i'd go Chinook. i love chinook though.

Seems to me the FWH and the 20min addition are going to do the same thing in this circumstance (assuming 60min boil).

One thing i did for my RIS, which showed no signs of oxidation, aerate a second time within the first 24hours of pitching. I think it definitely helped with the higher gravity.

Waaayyyyy too much C120. use maybe 1/2#. If you want more caramel/crystal in there add some lighter variety. Be careful not too use too much. Theremay will be some residual sweetness from just the sheer quantity of malt.

Also...I like Roasted Barley in a stout. A mix of dark malts can be good for complexity. If it were me I would do something like 3/4#-1# Roasted Barley, 1/2# Chocolate, 1/4# Black Patent (or even Carafa Special III).

My 2 cents.

Waaayyyyy too much C120. use maybe 1/2#. If you want more caramel/crystal in there add some lighter variety. Be careful not too use too much. Theremay will be some residual sweetness from just the sheer quantity of malt.

Also...I like Roasted Barley in a stout. A mix of dark malts can be good for complexity. If it were me I would do something like 3/4#-1# Roasted Barley, 1/2# Chocolate, 1/4# Black Patent (or even Carafa Special III).

My 2 cents.

I agree on both counts. Using the black & chocolate, you're not going to get too much from the crystal, IMO, as least as far as color goes. Changing half your base to Maris Otter would be a good way of getting a more bready, rounder flavor.

soup, Check out the RIS recipe in my profile dropdown to see what i did with mine.

Yep, interested as well--seems the mash temp was a bit low. Interesting to see what FG will be.

Brew day was Sat. It was my only second all grain brew, and my first by myself. I did get rid of the 120L and mix in some other malts. There was some techincal difficulties. I didn't really take in to considerations the amount of grains and the size of my cooler. I have a 10 gallon Gott, so after I added the 7.5 gallons of water it was filled all the way to the top. Preboil SG was 1.060 and 1.086 after boil. I only did a 60 minute boil. I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes because I thought that the wort would be more fermentable and I would have gotten a higher Alc%. Should I have gone higher?

Back