First recipe...tell me what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So this is my first recipe that I crafted myself... It's an American Amber that I plan on brewing next weekend.

6 lbs Briess golden light DME
.5 lb caramel 40L
.25 lb aromatic
.25 lb roasted barley
.25 lb flaked oats
1 oz centennial (60 min)
1 oz cascade (10 min)
1 white labs American ale blend

I am also using a starter for the yeast (another first time).

I used beersmith, and unfortunately I only have a 4 gallon pot so I roughly boil 3.5 gallons and top up to 5

Sounds tasty! :mug:

I only have one problem with it. Flaked oats MUST be mashed. You will get nothing useful from them without mashing. I think it's safe to omit them.

For that matter, Aromatic should be mashed, too, but you can at least get a portion of flavor, color and aroma from Aromatic in that quantity. Mashing Aromatic gives you full effect, but steeping at least gives you something useful. Not so with flaked grains of any type.

Therefore I suggest you omit the flaked oats. Won't matter anyway, 'cos it'll be a damn fine beer! :D

Cheers,

Bob

So brew day went well, on day 2 of fermentation now... Just one problem I had with the recipe so far that I will try to adjust for future brews if I use it again... Using all DME is a pain in the ass... Not only is it annoying trying to get all the clumps out, it foams up like nobodies business!

So brew day went well, on day 2 of fermentation now... Just one problem I had with the recipe so far that I will try to adjust for future brews if I use it again... Using all DME is a pain in the ass... Not only is it annoying trying to get all the clumps out, it foams up like nobodies business!

Yeah, just save yourself the trouble and switch to all-grain. :D

I plan on it eventually. More of a problem of money than anything else right now

Latest posts

Back