First recipe from scratch (IPA), feedback wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrub0bk

Reaction score
So i'm fairly new to the AG brewing and have been playing around on getting a "house" IPA recipe that i can maneuver the hops for different flavor profiles etc. What i basically want to get down in this brew is the color, ABV (around 6-6.5) and just make sure i make a solid brew with lots of hop flavor.

Heres what i've come up with as far as the grain bill. This is a 3gal batch
5.5 lb Pale 2-Row
0.8 lb Flaked Oats
0.25 lb Crystal 40L

I'm looking for a simple grain bill, SRM around 6, to keep it a nice golden color and not get too dark, and a nice soft silky mouthfeel which is where the oats come in.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Am i off?

Also for the first Hop schedule i came up with i got this:

1oz Mosaic (30)
.5 Amarillo (30)
.5 each, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe (15)
.5 each, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe (5)
1oz each, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe (dry hop, 7 days)

Again, any opinions would be awesome. I didn't include a 60 min to keep the bitterness low, but should i make up for that by adding a bit more on the 30 min, or should i add say 1oz of something at 60?

First try at this so all opinions would be awesome, i know the experienced brewers will pick this apart, but thats what i want. I want a nice juicy, drinkable IPA and i figured i'd try my hand at creating something that i can call my own.

Thanks all

If it were me, I'd move your 30 minute additions to 15 and your 5 minute additions to flameout. I've done a handful of IPAs this way and while the bitterness is lacking, the juicy hop flavor and aroma is fantastic! You could always add a small 60 minute addition just to get the bitterness to the level you want.

Also, you may want to research doing a hop stand...

Edit: just realized you're only doing 3 gal. You may want to just eliminate the 30 min.

I guess the question is how bitter do you want this? That's a heck of a hop aroma punch for a 3 gallon batch. I find that sometimes too many late/dry hops without enough bitterness or malt character to back them up is unpleasant.

It sounds like this is going to be a recipe that you want to brew a lot, so this is a spring board and I think your off to a good start either way. Oats can be a good edition, I love to add a pound of rye per 5 gallons to my IPAs.

If it were me, I'd move your 30 minute additions to 15 and your 5 minute additions to flameout. I've done a handful of IPAs this way and while the bitterness is lacking, the juicy hop flavor and aroma is fantastic! You could always add a small 60 minute addition just to get the bitterness to the level you want.

Also, you may want to research doing a hop stand...

I'll take a look at the hop stand thank you. I'm thinking of adding a small amount for bittering, just to round it out a bit more.

I guess the question is how bitter do you want this? That's a heck of a hop aroma punch for a 3 gallon batch. I find that sometimes too many late/dry hops without enough bitterness or malt character to back them up is unpleasant.

It sounds like this is going to be a recipe that you want to brew a lot, so this is a spring board and I think your off to a good start either way. Oats can be a good edition, I love to add a pound of rye per 5 gallons to my IPAs.

I don't want it overly bitter but i also don't want it to be lacking on that end. I think a small 60 minute addition would be worthwhile and moving the hops up from 30>15 15>5 5>flameout etc.

I figured it a lot of hops, i might dial down a bit, anyone have any suggestions as to where to dial down? I'm thinking maybe a bit on dryhop so far.

OK, I think I may have caused a little confusion. Since my initial response was based the thought that you were doing 5 gallons, let me restate.

What I would do:
eliminate the 30 minute
keep the 15 minute
move the 5 minute to flameout
add maybe .25-.5 oz at 60 minutes.

I'm ok with the big dry hop, but I've used as much as 6 oz. of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch and been happy with the results. Many people would think this is too much.

OK, I think I may have caused a little confusion. Since my initial response was based the thought that you were doing 5 gallons, let me restate.

What I would do:
eliminate the 30 minute
keep the 15 minute
move the 5 minute to flameout
add maybe .25-.5 oz at 60 minutes.

I'm ok with the big dry hop, but I've used as much as 6 oz. of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch and been happy with the results. Many people would think this is too much.

Cool - so i modified to this

.5 simcoe (60)
.5 each (simcoe, mosaic, amarillo) (15)
.75 amarillo (flameout)
.5 mosaic, simcoe (flameout)
1oz each (mosaic, simcoe, amarillo) (7 day dry hop)

I think it looks a bit better, saves a bit on the hops with eliminating the 30min and gives it some kind of bitterness but hopefully not overwhelming. I'm also thinking of moving the .75 amarillo to .5 to line it up with the other 2, will there even be a noticeable difference if i add that extra .25?

will there even be a noticeable difference if i add that extra .25?

Maybe to a handful of people that have a better sense of taste and smell than the majority of us. The average Joe most likely won't be able to tell the difference. I'd keep 'em all at .5.

Maybe to a handful of people that have a better sense of taste and smell than the majority of us. The average Joe most likely won't be able to tell the difference. I'd keep 'em all at .5.

Awesome, appreciate all the input. Will gather all ingredients get a brewday started and report back.

Back