First recipe design - Big Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
OK - this is my first "design my own" recipe. I have been using all the yummy ones that are posted in the files but was reading through a bunch and started stealing bits and pieces…well, the result is below.

What are your thoughts? Looking for input from those with more experience on how you think this will turn out.

15.5 lbs Pilsner
12oz carapils
1 lb rice hulls

OG est 10.8
Tot Eff 75%
Single Decoction
First Step @ 122 for 35 min
Second Step @ 154 for 45 min
add mach out water to raise to 168 for 10 min and then fly sparge to reach boil volume

90 minute boil

1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Hallertauer @ 45
2oz Hallertauer @ 30
2oz Hallertauer @ 15
2oz Hallertauer @ 5
2oz Hallertauer @ dry hop

Wyeast 2124 with 2L starter pitched at 55 degrees

Primary 10 days at 55, D rest 36 hours at 65, then back to 55 for four days, then lowering the temperature in the chamber two to three degrees a day to 40F. Then 3 weeks lagering (last week add dry hops) and keg.

eujamfh said:
OK - this is my first "design my own" recipe. I have been using all the yummy ones that are posted in the files but was reading through a bunch and started stealing bits and pieces…well, the result is below. What are your thoughts? Looking for input from those with more experience on how you think this will turn out. 15.5 lbs Pilsner 12oz carapils 1 lb rice hulls Single Decoction First Step @ 122 for 35 min Second Step @ 154 for 45 min add mach out water to raise to 168 for 10 min and then fly sparge to reach boil volume 90 minute boil 1oz Magnum @ 60 1oz Hallertauer @ 45 2oz Hallertauer @ 30 2oz Hallertauer @ 15 2oz Hallertauer @ 5 2oz Hallertauer @ dry hop Wyeast 2124 with 2L starter pitched at 55 degrees Primary 10 days at 55, D rest 36 hours at 65, then back to 55 for four days, then lowering the temperature in the chamber two to three degrees a day to 40F. Then 3 weeks lagering (last week add dry hops) and keg.

Efficiency and OG?

updated with EST 1.08 OG and usually I run a 75% efficiency…sometimes a bit lower (closer to 70%) if I sparge a bit to fast.

eujamfh said:
updated with EST 1.08 OG and usually I run a 75% efficiency…sometimes a bit lower (closer to 70%) if I sparge a bit to fast.

Looks good for an extreme example of the style. Hope it comes out as good as it looks. Let us know.

Latest posts

Back