First post, whirlpool blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al_cukui

Reaction score
Hello Homebrew talk world. It’s my first post, I’ve been homebrewing for a year now and what a whirlpool it’s been. Puns aside, I’m brewing a blonde ale soon and here’s the skinny.

10lbs of 2 row mashed at 150*F

“Yellow balanced” brunwater profile with RO water and salts added

0.5oz of Cascade at 10 minutes

3.0oz of Cascade for 20 minute whirlpool

3.0oz of Cascade for 4 day dryhop

Vital statistics for my system, as per BeerSmith app:
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.4%
IBU: 18
COLOR: 3 SRM

Ill ferment this with white labs 001 at 65 degrees with a diacetyl rest at 70 for the last 1/3 of fermentation. Then dryhop for four days. Then keg and carb to 2.65 vol/co2.

Let me know how y’all reckon.

I’m shooting for a soft bitterness with small amount of malt sweetness. Hence the mash temp and water profile.

All things considered, the hop flavor and aroma should be there with these late, flameout and dryhop additions. Do you all think the calculated bitterness will match the perceived biterness without an earlier addition of hops?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
Welcome!

At first glance, almost everything seems on point, but that's a helluvalotta WP/DH Cascade. If you're brewing to style guidelines, I'd say cut both in half, at least. If you want a Blonde Ale with a big whiff of Cascade, go for it... FWIW that's a bit more WP/DH Cascade than I'd put in a 5 gallon SNPA-ish Clone.

Given no crystal malts, you might consider mashing a few degrees higher for a bit more body, if that's what you want.

Last edited:
That should be a fun beer, heavily skewed toward hippiness. A 3 oz fry hop is fairly standard for an American pale ale or even an IPA of certain approaches. I've had great results with blonde ales even placing in the best of show round in a couple competitions with mine. I add an oz of tradition at flame out in mine and use victory for a real nice tweak of the base malt. Your beer wil be nice though if a little aggressive and less balanced. I'd cut out the whirlpool and dry hop with 1-1.5 oz.

Back