Post-Mortem of my first AG Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I posted a more complete "narrative" of my first AG brew day on my blog. But I want some experienced eyes on the data I collected to help me figure out where I went wrong and improve.

I used BrewTarget to scale BM's Centenniel Blonde up to seven gallons and also swapped out the Cascade hops for Czech Saaz. Here's the export from BT.

Saazy Centennial Blonde - Blonde Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 7.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.781 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 60%
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 23.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 1.050 lb Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Grain 11.200 oz Yes No 75% 10 L
Vienna Malt Grain 11.200 oz Yes No 78% 4 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Centennial 9.5% 0.350 oz Boil 55.000 min 9.9
Centennial 9.5% 0.350 oz Boil 35.000 min 8.3
Saaz (USA) 3.8% 0.700 oz Boil 20.000 min 4.8
Saaz (USA) 3.8% 0.350 oz Boil 5.000 min 0.8

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Mash In Infusion 3.828 gal 154.470 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 4.764 gal 165.200 F 15.000 min
I have a RIMS setup as seen below:
dsc_0085.jpg

Since I was shooting for a nearly eight gallon boil, and my target mash was 3.828Gal, I started with eight gallons of water. It heated it to 175°F and recirculated it to preheat the system. Once the thermometer on the kettle settled into 170°F. I pumped all but four gallons up into the MLT. I figure I got my strike volume correct based on what would have been in the hoses and pump. I checked the strike water until it hit 165°F and doughed in. I laid several layers of aluminum foil on top and stuck in a meat thermometer to monitor the temp. Not ideal, but that's what I had to work with this time. 15 minutes in, temp was 150°F, so I added a kettle of boiling water and it came back up to 155°F, which was my target according to BrewTarget. I just noticed BM's recipe calls for 105°F. I figure I was hovering between the two for the hour in average.

Toward the end of the mash, I brought the kettle up to around 170°F and begin slowly recirculating the system to "sparge". This was 15 minutes.

I collected 6.75 gallons in the kettle after draining the MLT. A cooled sample at 70°F read a gravity of 1.050. A loss of 1.25 gallons post-mash.

The boil proceeded as normal with hop additions on time. The scale I bought apparently only gave me one decimal place, so I rounded up the hops to the next tenth of an oz. That should push the IBUs up somewhat, but I wasn't too concerned.

After the hour-long boil, my sight-gague told me I only had 5 gallons once the hop bag was removed.

Is it possible that I lost a 1.75 gallons in an hour long boil? I expected a gallon an hour. Did the pellet hops suck up three-fourths of a gallon? I tried to let them drain, but didn't squeeze them out.

My OG was 1.048, which was almost spot on for this recipe. I'm concerned that I collected two-gallons end-product less than I hoped.

Looking back, I think I didn't quite account for the grain-loss water. But does that account for all of my loss?

Can anyone help me determine what my efficiency was? I planned for 60%. I'm betting it was around that, since I hit my target OG with less water. If I had the extra two gallons of water, it would have been lower, right?

Pitched the yeast at 60°F and put it in the space under the stairs in the basement, which was been at 60°F+/-. I used a carboy cap and clamped on a vinyl hose with the end in a jar of StarSan. No visible bubbles or anything yet, but I'll give it time before I freak out. The foam from shaking the carboy is almost all gone now.

Next brew, I hope to have a thermowell in the MLT, to enable better temp control. Also will hopefully have a plate or CF Chiller.

I am not good an analyzing others brewing results - it will take a few brews for you to dial in wort loss due to hops & boil off, etc. You really can't go by what other experience as your set up is not the same.

But I have to tell you I see disaster lurking with those hoses the way you have them set up. Your going to trip over one of them someday and pull the burner/wort/mash down on your deck and maybe your legs. Maybe move the propane tank over to the other side so you leave yourself a clear path.

Thanks. Yeah. The hoses were a bit of an obstacle. I need to better arrange things for the next brew. The workmate bench was an afterthought. I had initially intended on stacking up five-gallon buckets. This is already sturdier. ;)

A lot of the hoses you see on the right actually run under the workmate bench, so they're not under foot. It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo.

How did you have 1.05 OG at 6.75 gallons pre-boil and then 1.048 at 5 gallons post-boil? It should have been 1.068

I know. Something just isn't right about that. I guess I can check the gravity tonight when I get home and make sure I'm reading the hydrometer correctly.

I wonder if my initial runoff was 1.040 and I just couldn't read it correctly.

Yeah. That was pulled after I chilled to about 70°F. But there were a lot of bubbles at the top from collecting. I tried to let them all die down before I read the meter. There weren't any "clinging" to the hydrometer, though.

Hi Jet, a couple of things that I'll throw out there:

1) when adding your 2nd runnings to your 1st runnings, they often do not mix very well. The heavier first running tend to stay on the bottom while the lighter additions are on top. Taking a gravity reading without mixing the hel out of it will often produce a goofy reading, lower or higher than actual depending on where you took your sample. In your case, I think that you got a bad pre-boil reading (but of course, just an assumption).

2) Over time you will learn your system. It sounds to me that you are boiling off a very high amount of volume over the hour. I did this too on my first couple of AG's. I now get my hot break completed, then turn down my burner so the wort is moving around, but not bubbling anymore. I know now that doing this in my system will boil off 1 gallon per hour, then you need to account for trub loss and equipment loss.
My guess with your equipment you lost a bit, boiled off at least a gallon and another 1/2 gallon or so to trub.

3) Check into getting a refractometer. I got mine for around $30 shipped from ebay and it's really nice as you only need a drop of wort and the temperature doesn't matter. So you can get readings easily throughout the process, especially helpful while you are learning your system.

Back