First Post, First Homebrew, See If This Sounds Familiar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obie_fl

Reaction score
For my first brew I choose a Brown Ale Extract kit from AHS. Everything went really well on brew day very close on my OG 1.054 vice 1.052 in the recipe. I put the wort in the fermenter and added my room temperature WL P005 without starter. (There was nothing in the recipe about making a starter.) In hindsight I probably didn’t agitate the wort enough when adding the yeast.

Then I waited and waited and then waited some more. Took a gravity reading and it hadn’t budged after three days. I read and re-read the “Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs” and “Think you ruined your beer? Set your fears aside!” threads. I kept checking here on what to do but didn’t post for fear of Revvy scolding me to RDWHAHB. I thought for sure my yeast was dead as it had shipped on one of the hottest Florida days and the ice pack was warm when I finally opened the package.

On the fourth day I had to leave on an extended two and half week business trip. I was very tempted to re-pitch the yeast from my other kit a WLP001 but assumed it was bad too as it came in the same shipment. I seriously thought of dumping the wort as I didn’t want the thing stinking up the basement and incurring the wrath of SWMBO. I decided to open up the fermenter, gave it a good stir and closed it back up.

Cut to the chase… I return home after 17 days..21 days in the fermenter, I’m really expecting a putrid mess. Hmm doesn’t look too bad and smells OK, tastes pretty damn good, take a gravity reading and it’s 1.015 vice the recipe FG of 1.013. I almost didn’t believe the hydrometer, somewhere in those three weeks the yeast came to life. So it’s racked to my secondary and I'll likely be bottling later this week.
:mug:

Lesson learned: When the old timers here say never throw out a batch and RDWHAHB believe it.

Glad to hear your brew came out good!
Homebrewing is a great hobby, you can do a lot of things wrong/different and still end up with a good product.
It is definitlely a learning process though!
Keep on brewing!

Latest posts

Back