first partial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neskin

Reaction score
Hey, going to try some partial extract brewing next week. I'm trying to find a recipe to start with. I want an a hoppy IPA. Based on other peoples recipes and ingredients I have/ could find I came up with the following;

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/trumpets

I also have galaxy and northern brewer hops as well

What do you think?

Just to correct some terms, that recipe is an "extract batch with steeping grains", as there is no mash there so it's not a "partial mash". A partial mash uses base malt grains for fermentable sugars, with the rest made up of extract. This recipe has no base malt grains, so it's an extract batch.

As for the recipe, I'd change it up a bit. 15% crystal/carapils malt is too much. I'd cut that to no more than a pound, total, and maybe .50 pound of crystal 60L if you want to keep the carapils. If you want an IPA-like beer, I'd go with .5 crystal 60L and leave out the carapils totally.

For the hopping, you've got a good schedule, but instead of using .53 oz amounts, I'd increase those to 1 oz so that you have a nice hoppy flavor and aroma.

Back