First partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you're a little low on the OG. Looks good otherwise. I'm mashing grains for a PM stout atm. Gonna make another batch of my whiskely ale.

Looks great! How did you go about the partial mash? Also, I'm assuming you chilled that wort before you racked it to the carboy, right? And finally, I would caution against using those red carboy handles to carry full carboys - it can put tremendous strain on the neck and crack the glass (making a huge mess). Can't wait to hear how it turns out! What's next on your brew schedule?

I thought the same thing unionrdr, but by hydrometer is calibrated for 60F and I measured it at about 70F, so I'm assuming that it's a few points higher.
kombat, I mashed 1 lb of pale base malt, and a half lb each of malted wheat and oats in 1USG water for an hour between 148-152F, before topping off with water LME & DME and doing the hop additions.
I chilled down to 70F in ye olde bathtub. Then whirlpooled and racked....
I usually do straight extract kits because I can bang them out kinda quick on brew day and there's virtually no trub at all.
My next one is gonna be a Coopers Irish Stout extract kit, and I just may put some lactose in it cuz I'm a sucker for a good milk stout!
And I know these pics are deceiving, both those carboys are PET...

Corrected OG on your stout, or my Witbier? I was actually expecting it to be taller, the last BB kit I did ( a kolsch btw) was spitting out the blowoff tube after 12 hours....

So, when I leave for work yesterday morning, it's churning wildly and looks like the photo above.
When I get home yesterday after work, the krauesen has subsided, and I've got flocculation and yeast rafts!
I was a little surprised, I'm only 10 batches in, but I haven't seen an attenuation happen in like 36 hours.
Even if the mashing extraction was anywhere near as efficient as needed, there's still almost 6lbs of L/DME in that. I'm amazed, and probably gonna start a new thread about that....

Great to hear it! Well, not that it tastes just like hoegaarden is a good thing, as I hate the stuff, but that YOU got what you were aiming for. That's a great feeling and accomplishment! :mug:

Back